Compass

Tristin pov*

We are seated in war-room after a mission, where Mac and I messed up and Jack ended up breaking his arm.

"You got out alive, and you managed to recover the stolen data tapes, but Jack is in the infirmary with an axel fracture to his left radius." Matty tells Mac and I as we sit there. "So what went wrong?" 

"This is on me." I say.

"No, it's on me." Mac argued. "I was so focused on stopping that motor, I-I used a technical term, Jack didn't know."

"And I didn't correct you when you said it." I sigh.

"Hold the pipe perfectly normal?" Matty asked us. "Yeah, I was listening."

"Uh, what's so weird about 'normal'?" I hear Bozer lean over to Riley.

"In physics, it means 'perpendicular'." Riley answered.

"Well, there's no guarantee that Jack would know what the word 'perpendicular' meant either." Matty said to us.

"Look normally, like normal-normal, not physics normal...I or Trist can translate technical terms into Jack speak, and we didn't this time." Mac said.

"His injury is our fault." I say.

"Yeah, who's fault is it that you three jumped into the jaws of death?" She asked. "Look, I love Jack as much as...it's possible to love Jack. And he's one of the best operatives I've ever met, but mistakes like this nearly get agents killed, it's my job to ask if this is the right fit. Maybe you two need a partner that speaks your own language." What? Before I answer Mac and my phones buzz. See a call from Frankie's mom. Frankie was a good close friend of ours from MIT.

"Frankie?" I hear Mac say. We both walk out of the room and answer the calls. I her mom told me she was caught in a lab accident and she died. I here Mac say he would be there for her funeral, I told her mom that as well. I felt like my heart was ripped out. Before I met Nikki, Frankie was my best friend and honorary sister. I look at Mac, and hug him, slightly crying into his chest. He hugged me back, kissing my head. I look at him he had tears in his eyes.

"What's going on, Mac, Trist?" I hear Bozer say, we turn I wipe my eyes. "Is Frankie, okay..?"

"The was an accident. She's, uh..." Mac tried to say. "She's dead." 

"Oh, Mac, Trist." Bozer pulled Mac into a hug and Riley pulled me in. "I'm sorry, man."

"There's, uh, a memorial in Boston. We're wondering if we could..." I ask Matty.

"Go. We'll deal with all this later." Mac and I walk away, to pack and go to Boston. On the plane we change into the memorial clothes we are going to wear. Walking out of the airport hand-in-hand looking for a taxi. When we get outside we see Jack in a chauffeur outfit, in his sling, with a sign saying MacGyver and underneath saying Tristin.

 When we get outside we see Jack in a chauffeur outfit, in his sling, with a sign saying MacGyver and underneath saying Tristin