XX: Alone

Link's Perspective:

I woke to the sunken feeling in my chest. Something reminiscent of heart break but felt misplaced. Heart break occurred after love but nothing had happened. Nothing had happened between Zelda and I. But as the word "nothing" echoed in my mind, I knew it was wrong.

Something had happened, very clearly. Thing had happened, things I felt like I would regret. As a guard, I was a target. And if I was a target, my affection for the princess could be used against me. Nevermind that if I was hurt in a battle, it would break Zelda's heart. I'd only hurt her more if we dated. I had said the words so many times but, now that we had kissed, my thoughts felt more concrete.

But leaving Zelda.

I glanced at her face. Dawn was already sneaking through the remainder of tree leaves to fall upon Zelda and I and our little camp. The light managed to avoid her face, but flowed golden on parts of her body. I couldn't do anything but break her heart at this point.

Watch as her joy turned to ashes in her mouth.

I needed a friend. I needed somebody to tell me what to do. I couldn't remain like this, my internal conflict raging inside without somebody to help and somebody guide me. I felt pressure began to rise in my throat, as I laid my head in my knees. Pathetically, I felt the tears began to burn at my eyes.  I didn't want to bawl like an infant, not ever, but least of all, here.

But I felt helpless as my arms folded over my shoulders and let the tears begin to flow, one by one, marking the hammock drop by drop. I only had myself to comfort me.

And that moment, I felt terribly, hopelessly alone.