XL: Eggs and Advice

Link's Perspective:

I woke up to a heavy banging at my door. I jolted upright, my messy hair falling in front of my face as I stared at the door. It wasn't Zelda's knock, I knew hers was quiet and gentle, like she was approaching a flighty creature. Only a goron would knock on my door like that, so hard that I swore the hinges were going to burst.

"Link!" Daruk's voice boomed through the walls. "Are you up?" It was silly to ask. How could I not be up when he just screamed my name.

"Yeah," I called back, jumping from the rough mattress and approaching the door in my trunks. The door burst open and Daruk peered through, dipping his head so he could glance through the door frame.

"Good, good," he responded, managing to squeeze his large frame through the door. "I arranged for Zelda's protection today," he said offhandedly. I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

"That's... sweet?" I managed to respond, tilting my head. A small part of me was happy to surrender the responsibly of her safety. Daruk grinned gleefully and clapped me on the shoulder heavily.

"Yeah!" he agreed. "I was thinking, you could use a break from your responsibilities and I could use some guy time, right?" He laughed again, leaning back and clapping his heavy hands to his stomach. "C'mon, I know I'm right," he added, shoving my shoulder playfully. "Get dressed, we're gonna spend the morning together!"

He shoved himself through the doorway before I could protest, slamming the door so loudly, that I thought somebody would come to complain. I tried not to think too much of what Daruk had planned, only pulling on my white undershirt and brown riding pants, because I didn't think I could manage the scorching heat in all of my formal layers. I slid the Master Sword onto my back, tying my hair back before leaving my room.

Daruk grinned at me. "There ya go," he said, face gleaming. He gestured for me to follow him as he wandered down the halls, his long strides making it difficult for me to match his speed. "So what's it been like on the road, eh?" He asked. "Never told me about it, any trouble?"

I jogged a bit to match his stepping, shrugging a bit. "Well, not too much trouble, I guess," I responded honestly. He shot an inquiring look at me, indicating for me to elaborate. "Just some Yiga, nothing I couldn't handle." I could already feel the sweltering heat as we approached the exit of the building. "I haven't eaten any breakfast yet, I'm famished."

Daruk nodded, heavy white eyebrows furrowed. "How ya feel about eggs?" he asked. "I know this great place, makes awesome eggs." I shrugged, nodding and attempting a tired smile. I wasn't used to waking up so... well, abruptly.

We walked through the vendors for a bit until Daruk stopped, nodding at a young female goron with spiky blonde hair. She seems to know what he wanted, nodding respectfully to me, handing two glasses and two plates to him. He grinned and thanked her, fishing some rupees from his sash.

He handed me a plate and a metal fork. "Best eggs in all of Hyrule, you can count on that," he grinned, huffing my side. In all fairness, the eggs smelled awesome. He handed me one of the glasses as well. It was surprisingly cold and oddly bubbling.

"Beer?" I asked, reading the crude label. "This early?"

Daruk laughed again, struggling to hold the plate and glass bottle in his hands without spilling. "Hey, I'm betting it's a thing you miss while on the road, right?" I shrugged. Truth be told, I was never much of a fan of beer. I took a sip, anyways.

He grinned in approval and lead the way, wandering again. "So, hows it been being alone with Zelda?" he asked, looking at me with an unreadable look on his face. I felt my face blush at her name, looking into my arms as I struggled to keep my plate and glass flat.

"Uh, what do you mean?" I asked carefully. Zelda didn't want people to know and I didn't want it to slip.

"Well, you guys have been on the road together for a while..." He shrugged his large shoulders. "I dunno, woulda thought it would strained your relationship in some way, being around each other all the time."

I blinked and stayed silent for a minute. "Uh, well..." I cleared my throat. "We're still friends, if that's what you mean? It's been kinda rough on the road, I guess, but our relationship — our friendship — hasn't changed." He shrugged again, before glancing down at me and grinning.

"Alright, alright, well ya met a lotta new people I bet, any pretty girls? Any ladies ya get your eyes on?" He asked, nudging my side.

My cheeks reddened again. I was usually ok at lying and keeping a straight face but, for some reason, I just felt like I couldn't lie when the topic was Zelda. "Uh... n-not really..." I struggled to say. Daruk suddenly stopped and nudged me again, slightly harder, making me almost drop my breakfast.

"I knew it!" he said, grinning down at me. I couldn't force my blush away before he saw it. "It's Zelda, isn't it!"

I stuttered, at a loss for words. "I— No, why would you—?!" He grinned and laughed again, cutting me off with a happy slap on the back.

"Ah, I knew it!" he cried. I glanced around fearfully. At least he had the decency to pull me away before asking. "I always thought ya guys would be a good pair, nice to know it finally happened."

I frowned, looking down at my plate awkwardly. "Doesn't mean it'll last, Daruk..." I responded quietly. His expression darkened and he froze.

"How do you mean?" he asked, all joy erased from his voice.

"I mean, she's a princess," I explained lamely. "I'm just a guard. A well-regraded guard, but still just a guard. We're in different social classes, we won't last."

For once, Daruk's hand on my shoulder was gentle, almost like he was afraid to touch me. He shook my shoulder a bit, making me look up at him. "Hey, love — true love — always outlives all that. Love survives all obstacles, ya hear? As long as you feel strongly here—" He poked my chest gently, where my heart was. "— nothing will ever come between the two of you." He straightened up again when he saw my face lighten a bit. I didn't know how true his words were but, with the way he said it, I couldn't help believe it.

"Besides, ya only have one, life Link. Love is rare. Don't let it go."

"I won't."

~~~

I genuinely don't know if my chapters are good or shit, I just know that I'm tried and writing this at 2AM. Quarantine got me mentally fucked up, man.

On a new note, there's a bird which my dad has affectionately named Alfie who keeps shitting on MY CAR. Nobody ELSE'S car! Just my car!! He's a little bastard is what he is.

But I hope y'all are safe and healthy.