Not yet...

~Bella's POV~

As we sat in the small coffee shop enjoying our hot chocolate, I couldn't help feeling insecure, how was I the one he chose to take out? Why did he think I was good enough to even talk to me? All my insecurities seemed to be bubbling up inside me and I put my mug down on the table glancing up at Jack.

"Are you okay?" He asked. 

"Oh, I just- I have a headache." I tried coming up with an excuse.

"I'll call an uber to take you home, do you want me to come with?"

"Yes please..." It felt weird knowing that Jack Avery would know where I lived but I didn't want to be by myself with a total stranger. 

"Okay, type in your address so they know where to go." He said passing me his phone. I typed it in quickly and my hands started shaking, I was having an anxiety attack. I tried my best to level out my breathing but I couldn't stop shaking and tears started forming in my eyes.

"Bella? Are you okay? What happened?" He asked quickly.

"I'm okay, I get anxiety attacks sometimes." I said still shaking. He got up and came over to me, hugging me.

"I'm sorry." He said pouting.

"It's not your fault, I guess I don't really leave my friends much since we live together." I explained.

"Well the Uber is outside so let's get you home." He said with a soft smile.

"Okay. Thanks Jack, tonight was nice... well until I had my anxiety attack but like I couldn't stop that, I'm sorry-" In the middle of me talking he pulled me close to him burying my face in his neck. We stood there for a couple of minutes until he pulled away lifting my chin to look at him.

"You did nothing wrong, don't apologize. Let's get you home, the Uber's about to leave without us." We both laughed at his last sentence.

"Thank you." I said still looking up at him.

"No problem." He said as we walked out of the cafe to the Uber. When we got in the guy driving looked at me with a creepy grin and I instantly recognized him, this psychopath kidnapped me in 2nd grade and tried to kill me. He held my head underwater, pushed me in his pool knowing I couldn't swim and pushed me off his 3rd-floor balcony. How I survived? I don't know. He thought I was dead so left the city not knowing that his apartment complex had cameras that caught everything. We thought that he went to jail for life but now here he was, driving a car with me inside it just as it had been all those years ago. My breathing became fast and unsteady and I was shaking more than I had in the cafe, here we go again.  Jack noticed the creepy smile on the man's face and draped his arm over my shoulders, making me feel protected for the 10-minute car ride. When we got out of the car I snuck a photo of the license plate so I could make sure I didn't have to face him again and walked quickly down the street into the house, Jack followed with a sympathetic look on his face. 

"What's wrong? Why were you so scared of that guy?" Jack asked as soon as I closed the front door.

"That was the man who tried to kill me in 2nd grade... I thought he was still in jail..." I continued to tell him what the man did to me and we went up to my room to google him and see if anything came up. Sure enough, the story of him trying to kill me came up on about 20 different news sites but as we kept scrolling, there was the one thing I didn't want to see. 

'Patrick Hill escapes jail 10 years after being put on a life sentence after kidnapping 7-year-old Bella Smith'

Seeing that article made me sick to my stomach knowing that he had been working, earning money, living without the police ever finding him. We continued reading the article and found out that after a year, they gave up on trying to find him. I called he nearest police department and told them the liscence plate and where we saw him but what the officer said was heart breaking.

*Authors note*

Sorry for the cliffhanger guys! Word count: 732. This chapter is kinda short but I will probably start making longer ones when my writers block fixes itself.