[15] Alone Against The World

"Glory?"

Glory turned and stared at him. Her eyes were bloodshot, and she backed away when he came close to her. She was wearing the short dress she was wearing at the party. That was so many months ago. So many things had happened since then.

"Don't cry," he whispered. Glory remained at her place, watching Deathbringer with broken, empty eyes. With caution.

Her shoulders shook with sobs. "But I'll always cry." She backed away, her face in her hands. "Nobody cares, Deathbringer. I cry, I cut, I die. But does anybody truly care? No."

Deathbringer reached out for her, but he failed. He was close, but not close enough.

Never, ever enough.

"I killed you, Glory." Deathbringer wrapped his muscular arms around his stomach. He felt sick. "I killed the only person I've ever loved..."

Glory didn't stop crying, like she didn't hear him. "The pain hits me over and over again, they just keep coming. Help me, Deathbringer. You're my light in darkness. You're always there...just too late."

He blinked slowly, a wave of nausea coming over him. "You should have stayed, Glory. Just for one second...and it would have been over."

"It's too late," Glory repeated, looking up to him with her broken green eyes. She still looked stunning. But her small smile hid the tortured soul inside.

"I-it's never late," he stammered. Don't say that. Anything but that. "We can still do something. Nothing's too late!"

"It is now." Glory looked at him, smiling sadly. "But the thing is, Deathbringer, I accept it. Things balance out in the end— eye for an eye, tooth for tooth. Death comes with life. Pain comes with happiness."

"I rather have you, Glory," he said painfully, wistfully. What was this painful longing he always felt around her? Love? It couldn't be. "I.. I love you."

She walked up to him and laid a hand on his chest. He felt life flowing into him, with joy and happiness. Glory gave him a dazzling grin, and it lighted her entire face.

Glory fluttered her thick eyelashes. "You deserve something better." She gave him a gentle kiss on the cheek. Yet he didn't feel anything. "Something better than me."

"Nothing's better than you."

She laughed and turned, her clothes suddenly turning into a white gown. With a burst of white light, an angelic aura surrounded her. Her blonde hair floated in the air and wings sprouted out of her back, and when she turned her head he saw something so beautiful that it was not human. By it was still Glory. His Glory Bright.

"Don't go," he choked. "Please, Glory, I love you. I need you. Don't leave me."

She gave him a knowing smile, and relief washed over him. But all she said before disappearing was, "Why didn't you say this to me when I was alive?"

~

I never thought you were capable of stabbing people behind their backs. I can never describe the screaming emotions that came into my mind that day. The day you betrayed me.

Alone. I was....alone. Me against the world.

"Welcome to your tape, Sunny Jennair"

~

"Where's the thirteenth tape?" Deathbringer said, changing the tapes. "I can't find it."

Deathbringer sighed through the shoebox, frowning. He didn't know why it bothered him so much. But the fact nobody knew who the thirteenth person was and that nobody knew their story made him feel angry. "Ugh, where is it?!"