Chapter 2 - Emaline Goode

Mom made her guest a pot of tea and poured some into a coffee mug. After she finished, she grabbed an old yearbook from the shelf and put it on the couch. "Thank you very much," said Emaline.
"Cream and sugar?" Mom offered.
"Yes, please.
"We have waited 11 years for this moment," Mom said excitedly. "Never thought it would come."
"Well, it's finally here, Mrs. Evercreetch." Emaline said with delight. "Say, aren't you Patricia Evercreetch? The famous potioneer?" 
"I am, actually," Mom said, with an air of finality.
"Fantastic. Professor Mordecai talks about you all the time at school. So, have you been coming up with anything new lately?"
 Mom sighed. "Can't say that I have, Professor. Something will come up, eventually." 
Emaline then turned her attention to the twins. 
"James? Melissa? Today's your birthday, isn't it? I just realized I have something for you both!" James looked just as confused as his sister. She put her tea down, got up, reached into her messenger bag, and pulled out a box with a ribbon, which she put on the front table. They went over to see what was inside. The bottom of the bag seemed to e endless. "Baked it myself. Also made the buttercream," she said. Melissa opened it and inside was a chocolate cake with blue and pink buttercream and the words Happy Birthday James and Melissa were written in green icing.
"Thank you!" James said gratefully.
"It's not every day a pair of twins turn 11 now and then, isn't it?" she said joyfully. She then went to the cupboard to grab some plates and silverware for the cake. 
James looked at her. He wanted to say "thank you" to her for taking him and his sister home and for the birthday cake but instead, he asked, "Excuse me, ma'am. Who are you?" She smiled at him. "You're right, James. I forgot to introduce myself when we first met." She put her tea down and held out her hand. "My name is Emaline Goode, Deputy Headmistress, Head of Thunderbird House, and Professor of Astronomy at Ilvermorny School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry." She then shook his hand and then shook Melissa's hand. "Of course, you both know about Ilvermorny from your parents," she finished.
"Sorry, no," James said.
Emaline looked shocked and looked at them both.
"Did you two ever wonder where your mother learned at all?"
"Learned what?"
"My God," Emaline said. "These children don't know what they are or anything about our world"

Then Melissa's eyes widened again then she said, "Actually, we're doing well in school." Emaline raised her hand to stop Melissa from talking. "I mean about my world, your world. What you both truly are."

She then looked at Melissa. "I heard that you turned one of your classmate's hair pink in school today." Melissa looked astounded.
"How did you--"
"I have my sources"
Melissa look confused.
"Yes, Melissa. You and your brother are wizards. I think you both will be good ones once you're trained up a bit. Anyway, I think it's time that you both read your letter." James then opened his letter and read it aloud to everyone. Melissa then opened hers.

ILVERMORNY SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

MOUNT GREYLOCK, GREYLOCK ESTATES, MASSACHUSETTS, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Headmaster: Agilbert Fontaine, Educational Representative of MACUSA, High Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, North American Grandmaster of Enchantments

Dear Mr. Evercreetch,

With great honor, I am pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Your first semester begins on the fifth day of September.

Enclosed you will find a pendant with the symbol of a Gordian Knot. During the Initiation Ceremony (which includes, but is not limited to, the Sorting Ceremony and the Wand-Placement Ceremony), you will learn more about this Knot pendant. For now, however, the pendant will be necessary to enter the grounds of Ilvermorny. It will also serve as your ticket on James' Junction as you travel from your hometown to New York City and on Mayflower II which will take you to Ilvermorny Castle. DO NOT LOSE IT!!