Chapter 7 - The Sorting Hall

Without hesitation, the doors swung open, revealing a statuesque young witch with fiery orange hair donning a yellow cardigan and crisp white undershirt. Emaline proudly sported her Gordian Knot necklace, adorned with an Ilvermorny crest pin, leaving no doubt in James' mind as to her identity.
"Here they are, Emaline," said Potter. "The first years."
"Thank you, Jacob. It'll be alright," Emaline replied, pulling the door wide open. As they entered, James and Melissa were awestruck by the enormity of the entrance tower, which could easily accommodate their entire house. The balcony on the floor above was teeming with older students. The top of the tower featured a magnificent stained-glass window depicting a tree, with the Gordian Knot at its center and four massive wooden carvings of magical creatures - the Thunderbird, Wampus, Pukwudgie, and Horned Serpent - surrounding it. James was amazed by the sheer size of the sculptures and instinctively held his sister's hand tightly.
Melissa whispered to him, "Jamie, are you okay?"
James replied, "I'm fine. But these things. They're gigantic!"
The rest of the school's voices could be heard echoing across the room as they watched the newcomers and awaited what would happen.
Emaline approached them and walked right up to them. "Hey, Evercreetch Twins! It's so good to see you! Enjoy the train ride up here?"
"We did!" said Melissa.
"Good," Emaline replied to the kids. "Now the time has come to sort you guys into your Houses. Excuse me." She walked up to the front of the golden circle and spoke to them, and they all started to sit still so they didn't become a distraction.
"Welcome to Ilvermorny, first-years," greeted Professor Emaline Goode, the Deputy Headmistress. She introduced herself as the Astronomy Professor and explained that she would be in charge when Professor Fontaine was absent. The opening feast was about to begin, but first, the students needed to be sorted into their respective Houses. Sorting was a significant tradition for first-year students at Ilvermorny, as their Houses would become their family and the castle their home for the next seven years. Students would attend classes, sleep in their dormitories, and spend their free time in the common room with their Housemates. However, there was also much to do at school. The four Houses were Horned Serpent, Pukwudgie, Thunderbird, and Wampus.

"I want to explain to you all that each house represents a part of the witch or wizard - Thunderbird represents the soul, Wampus represents the body, Horned Serpent represents the mind, and Pukwudgie represents the heart. At Hogwarts, your house is chosen based on the traits you consider the most important and value beyond yourself. But at Ilvermorny, it divides along the lines of how you define yourself and what tools you prefer to use in your approach to life, but also in how you embrace them. First, at Horned Serpent, you are defined by what you think and learn, Wampus is defined by what you do, Pukwudgie is defined by what you feel or maybe love, and Thunderbird defines you by what you experience. Each of the Houses has a rich history that over time has produced some of the finest and most illustrious witches and wizards on the entire continent. Some of them even include famous No-Maji, including Ernest Hemingway, John Torrey, and Lewis and Clark. Each house promotes strength, House unity, and friendship like family and we help each other out. We are all bound together by a special and powerful pact of friendship, some more than always. Finally, your successful behavior at Ilvermorny will earn you points, and any misbehaviors will cause you to lose points. At the end of the year, whoever has the most points shall be awarded the Ilvermorny House Cup. The Sorting Ceremony will begin in a few minutes."
James swallowed and held his sister's hand even tighter.
"Jamie? Can I have my hand back?" Melissa whispered gently.
"Sorry," said James. He let go of her hand.
"It's okay," she said kindly. "I'm nervous, too. I don't wanna hold your hand anymore but I still love you." James immediately felt his face turn red.

Emaline then returned. "Ladies and gentlemen, the Sorting Ceremony is about to begin. Will the first years form a line, please?" she said as she took out her wand. James scrambled into a line with the other children.
"Piertotum Locomotor!" She bellowed. A loud shattering shook the ground as the four giant carvings came to life and she came back with a long roll of parchment. "Now, when I call your name, you will come forward and step into the Golden Circle. These four carvings will look into your mind, heart, soul, and body decide which are the strongest, and separate you into your houses. If you are chosen by more than one house, you can choose any you like. Once you choose a house, it will stay that way. It can NEVER be changed."
"It's periodic, but once every decade, all four carvings will react," Celestia whispered.
"What?" said James. She nodded.
"It could happen tonight," said a boy with silver-blonde hair. "Students that are chosen by all four Houses are called 'Divergents'."
"Hello, Oliver."
"Celestia."
"Who is that kid?" James asked.
"That's Oliver Cromwell. His family is related to the Malfoys over in England. He's just like me. Comes from one of the oldest Wizarding families in America."
"Really?"
"It's true," said Oliver.