Chapter 9 - A New Discovery

As he sat down with his sister and his new friends, James spotted something half-buried in the ground, shimmering in the light of the fire. It appeared to be made of gold. He reached down to pick it up and examine it. It looked like the Gordian Knot necklace around his neck. It seemed ancient, and something about it reminded him of something familiar. He blew off the dust of the ages from it and studied it until he saw Melissa and Celestia walking toward him and he put the necklace back in his pocket. James's face turned bright red when she sat next to him. 
"Hey, James!" said Celestia. "Great party, huh?"
"Yeah, I mean...they dragged us out here in the middle of the night and we're having s'mores, having drinks, and people are playing music and telling ghost stories. So yeah. This is a great party. So what's the Horned Serpent Common Room like, Celestia?"
"I think you'll love it. It's amazing! It's super modern and it's in the library. Here's the best part: students from other Houses are allowed to visit the other common rooms. There's only one condition: I have to watch you. Come and see me anytime, okay?"
"I will. Hey, do you want a s'more?"
"How do you make a s'more?" 
"I will show you. I'll be right back." James walked over and grabbed some graham crackers, a couple of chocolate bars, and some marshmallows and then returned.
"These are s'mores stuff. Now pay attention." He grabbed a graham cracker and a Hershey's chocolate bar and broke them up.
"First, you take the graham. You stick the chocolate on the graham." James put some marshmallows on a stick and pulled them toward the fire. "Then, you roast a 'mallow. When the 'mallow's flaming," He took the stick away from the fire and blew on the flaming marshmallows. "You stick it on the chocolate. Then, you cover it with the other end. Then, finally, you eat. It's delicious." He took a bite and gave Celestia the s'more he just made and he began to make another one. But he just can't seem to take his eyes off of her. His face turned red again.
"You're blushing again, James," Celestia giggled.
"No, I'm not." James denied.

"So what's this initiation about, professor?" Melissa asked as she saw Emaline. "Are they gonna make us go inside that creepy tower up there?"
Emaline sat down next to her.
"No, Melissa," Emaline said. "Close enough. I'm going to talk to your brother." James stared at the necklace until he realized Emaline was walking toward him.
"Having fun, James?" she asked.
"Yes," he answered.
"You know, you will be expected to share a hometown or home state story with everyone. Do you know any?"
"I know a story about the Skunk Ape"
"What's that?"
"Like Bigfoot, only they live out in the middle of the Everglades, I know some other ghost stories from Florida."
DONG! A loud bell chimed twelve times from the nearby clock tower. It was midnight. An older student got up and let off a bang from his wand. The crowd slipped into an almost eerie silence and he began to tell his story. 
"Thank you," he said. 
"They say that the Thirteenth Tower hasn't always been haunted. They say that it was once held in esteem only for the view. They say that it started with the first death. When one ghost appeared, so did the others. 

"According to legend, the Thirteenth Tower was built first as a tower from which Ilvermorny students could study astronomy. This could easily be the truth. The view from the top of the Tower is unobstructed by the sky and the area around Ilvermorny. But they had to put it out of use when the Falling Phantom appeared.

"One night, long ago, a young couple snuck away to the Tower. They climbed up the long spiral staircase to the top and watched the stars. They sat there for two hours, talking. What neither of them realized was that the grumpy old caretaker, who everyone agreed hated all children, especially those who found love as he never did, had seen them heading toward the Tower and had resolved to follow them.

"The couple could not hear the caretaker's steps as he slowly climbed the stairs to the Tower. Finally, he reached the top. He slammed the trapdoor open, and the boy bolted to his feet. 'I've got you now!' the caretaker shrieked. He hobbled toward the couple, who darted to either side of him, through the trapdoor, and down the stairs. The caretaker tried to follow. He hopped through the trapdoor, but when he landed, he slipped. He rolled down the stairs, all the way to the ground. The couple ran as fast as they could back to their dorms and never looked back.