Chapter 6 - The Castle Hidden In The Mist

The next day...

The day the twins, Celestia and many more students had been waiting for had finally arrived. James was just too nervous to go to sleep. He could barely keep his excitement in. Celestia's parents were flying to New York from Washington D.C. to see their daughter off to school. A car was waiting to take the three of them to Penn Station.
"James?" said Celestia. He was still asleep. She was trying to gently wake him up.
"Yes?" he said hazily.
"It's time to go. My parents are here and I would like you to meet them."
"Okay. Hey, Mel? Time to wake up. It's time."
James put on his grandfather's tweed cap and wore a collared shirt, a blazer, an Irish harp tie, and suspenders. While Melissa threw on a modern jacket, a scarf, a skirt, long pants, a pair of black flat shoes, and his Gordian Knot necklace.
"Dressing up like Grandpa again, Jamie?" said Melissa.
"Yep," he said.
"Are you James and Melissa Evercreetch?" said a man in a suit. The twins nodded.
"We gotta go. Your train leaves in half an hour. The earlier we get there, the better. I'm Celestia's father. Nice to meet you both."
"Same here, sir. My sister and I are excited to be going to Ilvermorny."
"Grand Central Terminal, Red." said a woman in the car.
"Yes, Mrs. Angell," said Red.
"Twins," said Celestia, "This is my mother. Mom, this is James and his twin sister, Melissa."
James tipped his hat to her. "Ma'am," he said politely.
"You're twins?" she said excitedly. "Which of you is the oldest?"
"I am," said Melissa.
"Your mother wouldn't happen to be Patricia Evercreetch, by any chance? The famous Potioneer?"
"Yep."
"Wow," he said with amazement.
"What makes the Evercreetch family so famous?" James asked Mr. Angell.
"They're some of the most famous and successful Potioneers in the United States. They've also made some contributions to Herbology, so you both come from a long line of talent."
"That's amazing!" Melissa exclaimed.

Arriving at Penn Station at about a quarter-to-ten, the twins were immediately lost. They could not find Platform 10-and-a-half anywhere at the station. But Ms. Angell rushed across the platform to get them trolleys for their luggage.
"I'll ask a guard. Maybe he knows." James approached a guard, trying not to mention Platform 10 1/2. "Excuse me, sir?"
"Yes?" he said with a heavy New York accent.
"Do you know where Platform 10 and-a-half is?"
"10-and-a-half?" he said, "Think you're being funny, do you?" The guard then walked off.

"Well, that didn't work," said Melissa.
"We are so screwed!" said James frantically. "Our train leaves in 15 minutes and I have no idea where we are going!"
"James..." said Celestia, "Just calm down."
James was now trying hard not to panic. According to the large clock over the arrivals board, he had fifteen minutes left to get on the train to Ilvermorny and he had no idea how to do it. At that moment a group of people passed just behind him and he caught a few words of what they were saying.

"-This happens every year! Packed with Muggles, of course-" It was a woman, with two boys and two girls. All with brown hair, a face full of freckles, and speaking in an Irish accent. "Come on, wains. Platform 10 1/2 this way."
"James," said Melissa. "I think we should go with them." James nodded.
Following his sister's advice, he pushed his cart in the direction the family was going.
"Mummy, why can't I go to Ilvermorny?" The little girl said.
"Because you're ten years old. Next year, you will. All right, Eamonn. You first." What appeared to be the oldest brother, about 14 years old, marched toward platforms nine and ten. Just as the boy reached the dividing barrier between the two platforms, a large crowd of tourists and commuters came swarming in front of him, and by the time the last backpack had cleared away, the boy had vanished. Next was who appeared to be the middle child, a girl. She looked exactly like her brothers. 
"Caitlín, you're up next, dear."
"Yes, Mum," she said. Like her brother, she took a running start but by the time James and Melissa blinked for a second, she was already gone.
"Excuse me, miss?" said James.
"Hello, darlin'," said the woman. "New to Ilvermorny? Fionn is new as well."
She pointed at the other boy, a strapping tall young boy with brown hair and eyes.
"Dia duit, ma'am. So my sister and I were wondering if you knew how to get on the platform."
"Not to worry, dear," She said gently, "It's the same as it is at Hogwarts. All you have to do is walk straight at that wall between Platforms 9 and 10. Don't stop and don't be scared you'll crash into it, that's very important. Best do it at a bit of a run if you're nervous." She then noticed James's hat. "That's a lovely hat you have there, by the way."
"Thank you, miss. It belonged to my grandfather. Brought it with him from Ireland."
"Are you twins, by any chance?"
"We are," said Melissa. "You go first, James. I will be right behind you."
"So will I," said Celestia, who just arrived with her parents
"Best of luck," the little girl said with encouragement.
James closed his eyes and took a deep breath and reopened them. He walked slowly and then began to take a running start toward the wall. In a quick second, he vanished from his sister's view, following close behind him. Turning around the corner, he saw a magnificent blue and cranberry passenger train, waiting next to a platform packed with people. Melissa then appeared, followed by Celestia and her parents. There were many languages spoken including Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Russian, Greek, Arabic, Chinese, Italian, Japanese, Korean, German, and Hindi. "This is it, Mel," said James, "We made it!"
"So many languages!" Melissa exclaimed.
"Ilvermorny is a lot more diverse than you think," said Celestia's father. "There are students here from every corner of the world."
"Wow," said James with excitement.
"Now you two go find a seat," said Celestia's mother. "We need to say our goodbyes."
"Thank you for everything, Mr. and Mrs. Angell," said James.
"You are most welcome, dear," she said politely.