Fresh start//Ch.7

"Guys you need to work together. I know this is your first time partnering with each other but really try and connect here." Will spoke, furrowing his eyebrows at the two.

The duo had been learning choreography for an hour now, and were already frustrated with each other. Kaycee knew coming back that she was going to be a little out of shape and was trying her hardest to get the lift right, but couldn't bring herself to do it full out.

She was supposed to do a leap and then swing around Sean and straddle him and then somehow land on her own, but Sean barely touched her when he caught her, so she never felt secure in the lift. She was super uncomfortable with the entire situation seeing as Sean already had a dance partner and a girlfriend and along with that, some of the moves were a little too close and too personal for her.

"One more time you guys." Will commanded, starting the music over.

Once again, the two went through the choreography fine until the last sequence with the lift. Kaycee sucked in a breath and went for it. Sean pulled her off the floor and around him as she did a leap and swung around to straddle him. However when she unwound her legs from his torso, he didn't hold onto her tight enough and she slipped, landing hard on the side of her ankle. Kaycee fell to the floor, squeezing her eyes shut in attempt to hold back tears.

"Ow!" Will stood up, watching Kaycee carefully as she she stood up on her own, turning down Sean's outstretched hand.

"Sorry! Im just used to lifting Tate and you're smaller than her and—" Sean apologized, only to be cut off by the frustrated girl.

"Can you please stop comparing me to Tate?" Kaycee knew it was the wrong thing to say the second the words left her mouth. She was frustrated with herself for struggling with the choreography and as much as she hated to admit it, she was jealous of Tate. She didn't struggle with partner work. The girl was everything Kaycee wanted to be; tall, lean, tan, she could sing and dance and had the perfect partnership with her extremely attractive and muscular boyfriend. Kaycee shook the thoughts from her mind and looked back at Sean. A look of hurt crossed his face before his expression went completely blank, making Kaycee feel worse about her childish actions.

"Ok enough. I know you are both tired and frustrated but I won't allow arguing in my studio. Kaycee go get checked out by the trainer in the office and come back for your solo rehearsal when you get the all clear okay? Sean you are dismissed, I expect you guys to work out your problems in the meantime and come back tomorrow ready to work."

The two nodded at Will and Kaycee followed Sean outside of the studio. She watched as he hustled outside, meeting Tate on the other side of the glass doors. Kaycee watched as he pulled Tate into a warm embrace and took a sip of her room temperature water. Her ankle throbbed beneath her and she knew it was sprained, but all that she could focus on was the way Sean's strong arms wrapped around Tate and the way he held onto her like she was his entire world.

Kaycee took another long sip of water before turning around and heading back into the studio, ignoring Will's orders to get checked out. She knew what they were going to say and right now she didn't want to hear it, she needed a distraction.

~

"I'm not doing well." Were the only words Kaycee spoke to her friends the next day at lunch before collapsing into her seat at the table. Tahani giggled at her dramatics while Kaycee buried her head into her arms, preparing to take a nap during lunch.

Tahani and Bailey had spent all of their first period class convincing Kaycee to sit with the boys at lunch and she had caved out of pure exhaustion, saying as long as there was a safe distance between her and Sean, she was game. She sat at one end of the table and Sean sat at the other end, while Tate's usual spot next to his remained mysteriously empty. When Josh had asked about it earlier he was met with a unusually cold, "I don't know, it's not my job to keep tabs on her." So now Sean sat next to Kenneth and across from Josh and Taylor.