Competition//Ch.10

Competition day had finally arrived, and to say Kaycee was nervous would be an understatement. She was grateful that Tricia had traveled with her and was acting as her dance mom for the competition or else she would have been a hot mess. Tricia had picked Kaycee up early that morning and threw Kaycee's favorite breakfast sandwich from Starbucks into her lap the second she stepped into the SUV, knowing that Kaycee would be too nervous to eat on a competition day.

"How are you feeling, Munch?" Tricia asked, as she ran the flat iron through another section of Kaycee's curls, just to Kaycee's liking. The two were in the dressing room and Kaycee watched as everyone else's parents helped them get ready, feeling a little jealous of the other kids. Sure she was grateful that her mentor stepped in and acted as a parent for her, but she couldn't help the resentment she felt at her parents for never being home or supporting her in her dance career.

"I'm good, a little nervous but I'll be okay." Kaycee forced a smile, meeting her mentor's eyes in the mirror. Tricia had already done Kaycee's makeup, much to Kaycee's distaste, and as much as she didn't like to wear makeup, Kaycee had to admit, she looked good.

"You have nothing to be nervous about. I watched your solo rehearsal and am still shook from it. You are truly an alien, Munchi." Tricia reassured, setting down the flat iron so she could pull Kaycee into a hug. Kaycee leaned into the embrace, holding onto the moment before Tricia stepped away, patting her on the back.

"Now go warm up and get into costume. I want to run through your solo before you go on stage." Tricia ordered, shoving the simple black costume into her arms and pushing her into the direction or the curtained changing area.

The costume was simple yet elegant , only a black leotard and her hair down, with several pieces pinned out of her face. She pulled her sock off of her ankle, noticing the bruises from the sprain, still evident on the side of her foot and pulled concealer out of her backpack, covering the bruise completely. The injury still bothered her but it wasn't as bad anymore and she quickly learned to push past it, and it wasn't like she had completely ignored it, she did ice it every night after rehearsals. When she finished, covering it, she quietly opened the curtain, trying to avoid gaining anyone's attention.

"AWW MUNCHI"

Thanks Tricia, Kaycee thought sarcastically and blushed as everyone's head turned her way, making similar comments on her appearance. She felt Sean's eye bore into her as she found her way back to where her mentor stood.

"You look so grownup now!"

Kaycee smiled and rolled her eyes at her mentor's teasing, turning to see what Bailey and Kenneth were wearing for their solos. She suddenly felt out of place as she saw them both, fully clothed in hip hop gear. She knew their solos were going to be more hip hop but she wasn't expecting to be the only one doing a contemporary/acro routine on the team.

"Wait, how come they get to wear real clothes! No fair!" Kaycee joked. Everyone in the room laughed at her and Tricia only rolled her eyes, Kaycee needed to learn how to show some skin eventually.

"Kaycee if you wore something like that, doing the choreography you are doing, you would strangle yourself and nobody here wants to see a dead body on stage. Go warm up" Tricia deadpanned, flipping through the program book to see when Kaycee was up.

Kaycee threw in her headphones and began going through her stretching routine, getting lost in her own thoughts. All of the routines the had were pretty sound, but Kaycee was most nervous for her duet with Sean. Their chemistry and technique was fine but they weren't. After the lunchroom debacle on Wednesday, Sean tried to talk to her before rehearsals. Kaycee had claimed to be fine and told him they were okay, but then proceeded to avoid him like the plague for the rest of the week. She spent her lunches in the dance studio, or came into the cafeteria late, so she could sit as far away as possible from him.