chapter three

I picked up Elspeth, carrying her out of the cottage. I felt her body tense the closer we got the village center. Her thoughts were spinning so fast in her head I couldn't even read them. Her legs were wrapped around my waist, and her arms placed around my neck. She had tucked her head in the crook of my neck, placing a kiss where her mark would one day reside. Now that we were nearing people her grip tightened. She was careful to show no outward signs of distress, and to the untrained eye, you'd never know. If you didn't pay close enough attention, you'd miss it. The subtle tensing of her body, the hitch in her breath. Something had changed from leaving her cottage to now. The fragile confidence she'd had was now gone.

"Elspeth?" I cooed, "What's wrong love? And don't tell me it's nothing. I know something is bothering you." I stopped walking, waiting for her to gather her thoughts. I didn't want to overwhelm her, nor did I expect for her to trust me implicitly so soon. I wanted her to feel comfortable, not feel as if she was being interrogated.

"I'm sorry Killian."

"Whatever could you be sorry for Elspeth. You never need to apologize to me for your feelings. I am your mate. You are my Queen. My Luna. It is my job to take care of your feelings. My privilege. To make you feel secure, happy, and safe. Your feelings come first, always." I rubbed her back, with soothing circles, her body melting under my touch. I watched her visibly sigh as I soothed her worries through my touch.

"You are a King."

"I am guessing your statement was intended to do more than just stating the obvious?" I gazed at her, worry filling my eyes. I could practically see the insecurities and doubt filling her mind as I spoke. With every step closer to the village she fell deeper into her fears.

"I am a human. Weak. I hold no more power than an omega. I can not imagine you're people would want me as their Queen. You are strong. You deserve someone braver, not a coward like me. You deserve someone charming and charismatic. Not the town freak her nose always in a book. You deserve better than a meek, broken girl who might never stop being afraid of everything and everyone around her. You deserve-" I cut her off before she could finish her sentence. I could not listen a moment longer.

For it was she who deserved better.

"My sweet pixie, the view you have of yourself is surely distorted. I will not allow anyone to speak ill of my mate, and that includes her. You being human does not change what I feel. The opinions of your village mean nothing to me. God created you for me, and I for you. He does not make mistakes. You speak of what I deserve, but what of you? Do you not deserve love? Do you not deserve to be cherished? I am merely speaking rhetorically because the answer is obviously yes. You deserve all of that and more. You deserve more than a man who's spent centuries locked away in a castle, aching for companionship. Pining for a mate I did not even know if I would ever find. You deserve more than to have your life completely uplifted. Forced into a position you have not been prepared for. You deserve more than a man who killed a man right in front of you." I drew in a shaky breath.

"You deserve more than a beast like me."

"I am sorry you are stuck with me, but I can not let you go. I am a selfish, selfish man. A man who has been given an Angel as a gift. You, my angel, are a gift from God I will never forsake. So it is I who is sorry sweet Elspeth. I am sorry you have been cursed to be my mate, but make no mistake... I will never let you go. I will spend forever cherishing you, doing anything to make you happy... but never ask me to choose another. I can not, and will not ever love another." I grimaced, horrified at myself. I was terrified to look at her, scared I would see pure disgust on her beautiful face.

"I do not think you are a beast."

My eyes snapped open at her response. All that I said, and that is all she has to say? Where is the disgust? The fear? Why has she not run away from me? Why is she still here?