number 5

these next few chapters were written quick so dont judge too hard pls

Russia had told himself he would only stay a few minutes.

But now here he was, sitting on a couch with a bottle of vodka in his hand. At least Germany hadn't been lying about the alcohol - there was tons. And that was probably the only good thing about this party.

There were tons of countries and loud music - neither of which Russia cared for, except for the latter on rare occasions. The people walking by blurred, and the music was reduced to a steady vibration in his bones as alcohol filled his body. I should've just drank in my room.

Russia blinked lazily, gripping the almost-empty vodka bottle tightly. In his peripheral vision, he saw a large white grin that would only be America's.

America laughed drunkenly at something someone said, and Russia looked down. He rolled his wrist and watched the remaining contents of the vodka bottle swirl around. He didn't want to finish it just yet.

"RUSSIA!" across the room, Germany raised a mug of beer. Russia halfheartedly raised his vodka bottle before someone stepped in front of him and he couldn't see his friend anymore.

I regret coming.

The thought surface in Russia's mind just the way it had popped up a minute ago, and before that, and every moment since he'd arrived. Russia hated parties, but he figured everyone knew him enough to let him sit alone in a corner with his bottle of vodka.

No one wants me here.

Voices drifted over Russia's head, screamed conversations and shouts of excitement bouncing around the room. He looked down at the bottle in his hand, mind blank.

The couch cushion sank next to him.

"Russiaaaaaaa," someone sang. Russia looked over into bright white eyes a foot away from his face. Normally he would be taken aback by the closeness, but he found that he didn't care.

"Where'd your glasses go?" Russia mumbled.

America giggled, crawling closer to the other country and sitting in his lap. Russia wasn't sure what to make of that move, and wasn't really sober enough to think it through. "Lost 'em."

"Tha's unfortunate."

"Tha's unfortunate," America mimicked, resting his arms on Russia's shoulders.

Russia frowned. "You're mimicking me."

"Noooooo," America drawled before giggling again. Great, a laughing drunk.

America swayed back and forth in front of Russia, mouthing the lyrics to a song before scooting closer so that there was only a few inches of space between them. "Hey Rus, truth or dare."

After a few moments of not speaking, Russia realized he was supposed to respond. "What?"

"Truth?" America grinned, "Or dare??"

"What are you doing?" Russia finally asked, glancing up at the surrounding people. They didn't seem to notice the two, or were just ignoring Russia completely.

America frowned. "Trying to be friendly."

Weird way of doing it, Russia thought before lifting the bottle in his hand. He pressed the mouth of his vodka against his lips and swallowed the rest of it, feeling a vague feeling of satisfaction. He always got that feeling whenever he finished a bottle.

America snatched the glass bottle from the other country and tried to take a drink. His expression dropped when he realized there was no vodka in it anymore. "Rus, that's not nice~," he whined.

"You're already drunk, you don't need more," Russia told the smaller country. He tried to push America off. "Now get off."

"No!!" America held onto Russia. "Stop trying to push me away, I wanna be friends!"

"How does sittin' on me help that."

America paused to think. "Ummmm... I am infusing you with friendship." He placed both of his hands on Russia's chest. "Bwshhhh!!"

Russia rolled his eyes and clumsily stood up, making America fall to the floor with a loud thump. "I'm leaving."

America whined from the floor as Russia walked away. He wanted to find the hostess before leaving - it would be rude to disappear without thanking her for inviting him, despite his hatred of the party.

After a minute, he finally found Japan who was sitting in a circle with a few other countries, playing a card game. It looked like they even had a gambling pool, with a box of pocky sticks, three anime figures, and a crumpled dollar bill. He leaned down at tapped Japan on the shoulder.

She looked up. "Oh, hi Russia-kun! Hold on - " she tucked her cards into her shirt and gestured at the other countries to wait, standing up to face Russia. "What do you need?"

"Thanks for having me," Russia said as soberly as he could. Japan smiled at him, baring her tiny fangs.

"Thanks for coming, Russia-kun! Are you and Ameri-chan leaving so soon?"

"Meri?" Russia was confused.

Japan nodded impatiently, looking like she wanted to get back to her game. "Hai, hai, don't you know? Everyone that came agreed to the buddy system - roommates will help each other get back to their rooms safe and sound." She bared her teeth in a grin again. "After all, two drunks are better than one!"

"But... I didn't know," Russia explained. "He probably wants to stay."

She shrugged. "Then you'll have to stay too. Gomen Russia-kun, but I really need to get back to my game..."

She sat back down in the circle, effectively dismissing Russia.

So now he's my responsibility? Why did no one tell me about this 'buddy system?'

Russia wandered back into the main room. Germany probably knew then I wouldn't go.

After a few seconds of searching, Russia found America. He was standing on a table taking whatever shots countries held up to him. Russia watched him for a few moments in disbelief.

"Идиот," he finally muttered, pushing his way through the crowd. Even in his vodka-numbed mind, he knew that if America was drunk before, it was only a matter of time before the numbskull passed out. And who knew what was in those shots?

America caught sight of Russia making his way to the front and jumped down from the table, arms spread wide with an even wider grin plastered on his face. "Rus! Did you see me?"

Rus didn't bother answering, grabbing America's wrist and yanking him away from all the countries. America stumbled.

"Hey hey hey, where're we goin'?" America slurred.

"Back to our room."

America instantly dug his heels in, refusing. "Rus, no! We just got here, let's stay a little longer!"

"We 'just got here' four hours ago," Russia informed him.

He protested. "But-"

After a few minutes of coaxing, some threats, and finally resulting to brute force, Russia managed to drag America away from the party. Now we just need to get back to the dorm room, and I can sleep.

04/02/19