22, also one of my favorite numbers

how come part 21 has more reads than part 20? something doesn't add up here...🤔🤔

The rest of the day was uneventful for America. He left the room only for lunch and dinner, and although he had smuggled back food for Russia, the sick boy had spent most of the day sleeping. America spent most of his day staying close to Russia, making sure he was still breathing and stuff.

Russia had woken up at odd intervals throughout the day to mumble a few sentences in his language. America was unable to decipher any of it, unfortunately. He knew a little Russian, but it was impossible to understand anything when Russia was mumbling his words.

Thankfully, though, Russia's sickness hadn't gotten any worse since Germany had come to help, so that was good. America sighed, leaning back on the wall next to his bed and sitting with his legs crossed, playing Minion Rush on his phone. He should probably do homework.

Nah.

There was a shifting sound from Russia's side of the room, and America glanced up. The other boy was sitting upright, blinking and looking around with a confused expression.

"Hey," America chirped. "Do you feel any better?"

As soon as America had spoken, Russia turned his head to look at him. Then he groaned, flopping back down onto his bed and pressing his palms over his eyes. Apparently he didn't enjoy America's presence when he was sick. "I feel like fucking shit."

"Yeah, you were sick." America glanced back down to his game, figuring that Russia was fine now. "You're still sick, I think. Germany helped me take care of you. You slept the whole day, though, so you missed dinner."

"Shut up, your voice is like a grater." Russia moved his hands to the sides of his head, holding them tightly.

America quieted, focusing on making his minion eat a lot of bananas.

After a few minutes of silence passed, Russia moved again, sitting up and swinging his legs over the side of his bed. He checked his phone, probably looking at the time. Then he stood, stretched, and moved to put his shoes on.

America watched him curiously, wondering if he should go with him. "Where're you going?"

"None of your business." Yep, Russia was definitely back to normal. It was strange to America how he had managed to get over his sickness so quickly -- usually, it took America about two days for any sickness to fully dissipate. "...the cafe across campus," Russia mumbled, maybe deciding he could tell America. "I'm hungry." He tied his shoes.

"Oh, I brought back some food from the dining hall for you!" America sat a little straighter, pointing to a bag by Russia's bed. "You--"

Russia cut him off, standing up. "I'd rather not eat that."

America deflated a little at Russia's refusal. "Oh-- um, well, can I come with you? To the cafe? I can... keep you company, maybe?"

"No."

Fuck, how was America supposed to befriend Russia and fix his mistakes when the guy kept cutting him off at every chance he got? "...Okay then," he muttered, deciding not to push it and instead slouching against the wall and refocusing on his game.

Russia stared at him for a second. Then he left the room.

The door shut, but America didn't look up from his phone. The room felt different now that Russia was gone, but there was still some sort of underlying tension he had left behind. It seemed like it was embedded in the very fabric of America's clothes or some shit, impossible to get rid of.

Sighing, America tossed his phone down on the bed and stood to close the window. Now that it was night, the air was a little too cold to be infiltrating their dorm room. He didn't want to get sick too.

i forced myself to write this, which is why its bland and boring, sorry. stop guilt-tripping me and demanding the next part, it makes me not want to write at all

also im taking this story in a completely different direction now, so that means its going to be a looooong wait for them to actually be friends, but i promise the wait will be worth it :))! 

11/10/19