4 | Dark Halls

_________

_________

"JULIET, DID YOU—,"

"Yes, mother."

"And did you—,"

"Yes, mum."

"But what about the—,"

"I'm all set. Don't worry about me at all," came Juliet Grimaldi's reply to her mother's fussing.

Eleanor Grimaldi still looked worried, making Juliet regret agreeing to her idea to escort her back to Arrowsmith.

Her mother had fought tooth and nail against the usual security detail that returned her to her school each year. Eleanor had won but by only so much.

With one glance behind her shoulder, not only was Juliet greeted by the usual sight of the intense foliage that lined the stretching upward pathway to Arrowsmith and the occasional intricate gate that led to huge and old estates that sat manor houses for various English old money families, including some which belonged to her classmates, Juliet was met with the big black Jeep that held about five of Monaco's guards that had been tailing her mother's Maserati since their jet touched down onto English soil.

Juliet's father was the nephew of the current reigning Prince of Monaco, making her Princess Juliet Sophia Gabriella Grimaldi of Monaco.

The title meant very little to her as she was far from being next in line for the throne and one of many cousins bearing similar titles. It meant even less to her mother. Eleanor Grimaldi came from humble beginnings and those values she kept, raising Juliet with them. Her mother's current fussing was a reminder of the fact that although Eleanor was royalty by marriage, she still always smelled like homemade cookies and wore a cheesy string and bead bracelet Juliet had made for her when she was in kindergarten.

Juliet returned her gaze inside the car, to her mother's youthful face, focused intently on the winding road ahead, and asked the question she'd been pulling at since they left home.