14 | Fun and Games Pt. 1

✦ ✦ ✦

THE FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL FLEW by in a blur for Juliet.

She spoke with her friends, but barely heard what they said. She listened to gossip and responded half-heartedly. She did her homework with an uninterested hand and wouldn't be surprised if her marks came back mediocre. On Saturday, she'd gone with the rest of her dorm mates out into the city in a car called for them by Freya from her father's company. All students, eighteen or not, were allowed out on weekends so long as they returned for the curfew of ten o'clock. They'd gone to some organic grocery and bought things to restock the cabinets and fridge of the kitchen at Ebony House. Then, they'd had lunch. And they'd been back long before ten, when usually their party would be cutting it terribly close to the deadline.

Things between the five of them were strained, Juliet had enough in her to observe that. One didn't need many brain cells to notice anyway. It wasn't hostile exactly. But the gap between Amelie and Freya set an awkward tone to all their interactions while both of them pretended it didn't exist. They still spoke, still acknowledged one another, but only ever when with the rest of them. It was different because they both used to be inseparable on a regular basis, joint at the hip. Now, they spoke as polite acquaintances.

Not only because of this rift did Juliet dread the traditional party thrown by Cyan Hall on the first Sunday of the term. Her brain was occupied constantly, whether she wanted it to be or not, by thoughts of her parents.

Her mother hadn't replied to any of her texts. Which wasn't all that weird considering Eleanor wasn't big on technology. Still, Juliet had so many questions gnawing at her. Her father, however, had happily, cluelessly messaged her on Friday to ask about her first week of school, which was normal. Juliet had stared at it for a while, wondering if she should type back 'I know', but she didn't and just replied with equal joy.

But she did know, about the divorce, about the affair.

She hadn't told any of her friends yet purely because she didn't know what to tell them. She didn't understand herself. Which was dumb.