Chapter 20: Joan, a Demon, and a Man

"Brother Joan?"

Joan groaned and raised her heavy eyelids, to see a young fellow monk looking down at her with a concerned face. He had placed his palm on her forehead.

"Brother Cedric?!" She wanted to move but realised that she had no strength to do so

"Brother Cedric?!" She wanted to move but realised that she had no strength to do so. "W... What happened? Why are you here?"

"You hadn't come out of your room until noon, so I decided to check on you. You've overslept, huh?"

"Eh? You? Check on me?"

Joan widened her eyes in a stupor - since when did Cedric care about her? As she knew, all of these monks secretly despised her due to her coldness and disinterest in their companionship.

"Well, it did appear a bit strange... I see you've even caught a fever..." Cedric chuckled and shook his head. "Damn, you should think a bit more about your health than those books sometimes. I know we've all devoted ourselves to the High Forces, but sacrificing our health and well-being to them isn't really recommended."

"Ugh, you don't understand me, Brother Cedric. I've undergone a lot, and I'm in pursuit of my happiness."

"What is that happiness you so greatly crave, anyway?"

"Even if I told you, you wouldn't understand."

"Try me."

Cedric winked, in the mood of having fun. Joan chuckled, and inquired:

"Have you ever heard about Tsukishiro, the unearthly warrior of perfection?"

"Nah, no clue." Cedric shrugged. "Perfection doesn't exist, Brother Joan, you know it. It is just a notion made up by fools who wish to obtain something greater than they can. I think all of your toils will be vain at this point if what you're searching for is truly perfection."

"I've seen him once!" Joan clenched her fists. "He does exist! He told me to find him. That is why I chose this spiritual path of mine. I desire to meet him again. That day, when his shawl embraced me, I felt at complete peace, like never before... I truly felt perfect."

"Are you sure it wasn't an illusion?"

"Ugh, of course, it was not! I_"

She couldn't finish her words - she started coughing.

"Whoops, okay, calm down. You're burning up. I'll go get some medicine for you. Don't get up and sneak out in libraries now, got that?"

"Yeah, yeah, just go already!"

Cedric laughed and went out, closing the door behind him. Once she saw him leave, Joan sighed in relief and looked up at the ceiling.

"Fell ill now, huh? Damn it all..."

She looked aside, at a window. There was a raven sitting on the window-sill. She frowned:

"What are you staring at?"