Chapter 42: Johanne's Conclusion

Johanne sensed Tsukishiro trembling in her arms. The dragon glowed and shifted back into the human form of the white "demon". Johanne felt little droplets land on her cheeks - the grand spirit of perfection was shedding tears. He was still in dismay, unable to comprehend how this little human had managed to grasp the truth behind his perfect mask.

"You don't have to be alone, Yuebai." Johanne gently wiped off his tears. "The world has changed, but it doesn't mean that it has been deprived of perfection. Perfection comes in all shapes, let one only believe it exists." She smiled as she recalled her notion of 'a perfect disaster' she had recently reflected upon. "The forces continue to act as they're meant to: the High Forces create, the Black Energy destroys, Nature transforms and readjusts to the new changes. Even if the destruction is not immediate, the everlasting balance is maintained. And we all strive to be better while being harmonious with ourselves. Isn't that already perfect? Isn't this world perfect as is? If yes, then doesn't that mean that you belong everywhere in this world? It has not been deprived of its primal essence. You don't have to steal anything from anyone. The entire world is yours, and has always been."

The friends widened their eyes - everything Johanne had just said, made perfect sense! They had never thought about it that way - that the world was perfect even if so many opposing forces existed within it and fought for eternity. The world was perfect even if so many broken creatures were being born. Those very "broken creatures" strove to transform into higher beings. They strove to be better, and that already made them perfect. If the world was perfect, then it meant that it did belong to Tsukishiro - the force of Perfection. Perfection was not unnecessary - it was what drove every being to transform. Without it, there'd be no transformation, hence no creation and no destruction. Nothing would be meaningful. Perfection was what gave the entire world its meaning.

And it was a human who had grasped that idea.

"She truly is something else..." Samael muttered.

"I always knew she was!" Incubus grinned.

Mei and Isah only smiled, while Yuehong and Michael were astounded.

Tsukishiro, on his part, had burst into tears, for the first time in his entire life as the Essence of the world and later as the white dragon of Perfection. He embraced Johanne with both of his arms instead of the fur shawl now.

"Johanne, thank you."

Johanne flinched, but then smiled and hugged him back. She noticed how the fur began to grow out of his left chest too. Soon, it formed into the fluffy fur shawl like the one on his right chest.

"What's wrong with him?" Incubus was in dismay.

"He's regained his true values. He is no longer a demon." Yuehong smiled. "He's become the Essence once again."

"What?!"

The friends were dreaded - Tsukishiro had regained his true powers? Now he'd be as powerful as the High Forces, the Black Energy, and Nature!

Tsukishiro began dissipating into white light. Johanne widened her eyes:

"W... What's happening?"

"You've given me a new sense, Johanne. Something only a human could do with their powerful imagination..." Tsukishiro smiled. "I'm rejoining the world, to claim my rightful place."

"What? S... So, we'll never meet again?"

Tears began to gather in Johanne's eyes - finally, when she thought she had given him a chance to stay in her world, he was going to leave?!

A subtle, kind laugh echoed from the white light:

"From now on, I'll always be by your side."

The white light vanished. Likewise, the fog in the Realm of Perfect Silence began fading, and soon, the entire realm disappeared. The friends were brought back to the territories of the Black Energy, in the dungeon where their loved ones were waiting.