Chapter 34: The White Demon

"Oh no, we're too late!" Johanne exclaimed much in distress - this infernal monster had returned! Balthazar had no chances of winning against him...

"Well, well, what do we have here?" Azazel chuckled, readying his claws, "You've come in the forbidden abode of demons, Balthazar? I see you've even used a very dangerous technique to get here... But all is futile - I do not need you anymore, so don't expect me to have mercy upon you!"

"I do not require any mercy from a fallen angel such as you, Azazel!" Balthazar put the exhausted Johanne down on the floor and grabbed the red-gemmed staff he controlled Succubus' energy with. "I've got the same words to tell you: I don't need you anymore either. Hence, I shall allow myself to destroy you!"

He swung the staff. Succubus glowed dark purple and sent her infernal energy to him. Balthazar's skin got covered with multiple demonic symbols, hinting at his charging up with demonic powers. His hands grew purple claws. He roared in a beastly voice, dashed at the stupefied Azazel, and began to lacerate him with his newly-acquired demonic claws. Azazel too, on his part, began to counterattack with his blackened powers.

Balthazar... has the power to absorb his demons' energy? 

Johanne was dumbfounded - she had never imagined him to be this strong! Hope rekindled in her heart - even if she was unable to move right now, with such a mighty ally by her side, she could definitely be saved.

Balthazar vigorously fought against the powerful fallen angel and was on par with him. He avoided his dark ray attacks and countered them with his purple ones. 

"Give me more, Succubus!"

He swung his stuff again and again, draining more and more energy from his companion demon and adding it up to his arsenal. Now, even demonic wings had formed on his back, allowing him to fly as fast as his opponent and parry his aerial attacks as well. 

Succubus sent the energy to her beloved father, determined to aid him at any cost. She was happy that her father had finally decided to help Johanne Green, the reincarnation of his past sister, for it meant that he was making the first step towards purification, after so many centuries. 

"Ugh, die already!" 

Azazel snarled and blasted Balthazar with dark rays and orbs, but the boy was able to parry all the hits with the help of Succubus' immense energy.

"You don't joke with Lady Layla's daughter!"

He smirked and shot powerful purple rays at Azazel. The angel barely evaded the hits, and let out heavy breaths - this boy was truly something...

"Ah!!!"

They all started and glanced aside, just to get shocked - Succubus had coughed out blood, her chest pierced by a white ray from behind! Balthazar and Johanne were terrified enough, but once the little demoness fell unconscious to the floor, they froze - it was Tsukishiro who stood behind her! He still held his hand forward, as if it was truly he to have just shot that powerful white ray.

The minute Succubus fell, Balthazar lost all of his borrowed powers and even fell to his knees, exhausted from using so many forbidden arts (the Demon Arts had an immense backlash - they drained the user's own energy after they had utilized the borrowed powers of their demon guardians). 

"Haha! Thank you, Your Divinity!" Azazel grinned at Tsukishiro, and turned back to the weakened Balthazar, who struggled to stand on his feet: "Well, well... I think I've told you, Balthazar Corsaire, that I was not going to have mercy upon you. You see, we demons play dirty. Hence, I won't wait until you get up!"

He blasted the boy with a powerful dark ray and pierced his chest. Balthazar coughed out blood and fell to the floor, unconscious.

"Balthazar! No!!!"

Johanne shrieked in dread, for she could see the lively aura around the boy had vanished, and that meant... She tried to discard this vile thought and avert her eyes from this horrible truth, but could not, for she fully realised that everything had happened for real, and there was no way back. Tears began to pour down her cheeks:

"No! Cedric..."

She shrilled in agony - she had just found her beloved brother after so many centuries, and had already lost him! He was right before her eyes, yet she could do nothing! She was powerless, totally helpless... Villainous laughter of the hideous fallen angel echoed through her ears as she wept for her lost friend and lost hopes:

"Haha! You've lost, Joan Mardyr! Nobody's going to save you now! Your precious brother has died yet again, and will soon join our mother, the Black Energy, to strengthen her even more! Now, it is time you gave your remaining strength to me!"

He approached her and grabbed her throat with his hideous claws. Johanne gazed up at him with her eyes full of fear and tears. Azazel only grinned with diabolical pleasure at such misery of hers and was going to pierce her chest to steal her remaining energy when he widened his eyes and coughed rotten blood right at her face. The astounded and disgusted Johanne stared at him, to feel his clawed grip loosen and let go of her throat, and to see him collapse before her very feet. Behind him stood the very demon who had pierced Succubus earlier, hence was the cause of her newly-found brother's yet another death; and who was also the one whom she had sought during her whole life as Joan Mardyr, and had loved deeply.

Once again after long centuries, she stood face to face with the entity who was the cause of both her calamities and her happiness - Tsukishiro Ryū.

Yet again, after so many life lessons with the same warning as to not trust this demon, and regardless of his being the reason of Balthazar's, of Cedric's yet another death, she felt the indomitable urge to cuddle with that "divine" white fur shaw...

Yet again, after so many life lessons with the same warning as to not trust this demon, and regardless of his being the reason of Balthazar's, of Cedric's yet another death, she felt the indomitable urge to cuddle with that "divine" white fur shawl of his.