Chapter Four: Antidote

My eyes grew heavy as I was scanning through my potions notes. I had found a seat at my favourite table in the potions classroom and began to study before the lecture. Trent approached and dropped a stack of books right next to my face. I looked up from my textbook, pushing my glasses back into place. "Can I help you?"

"Guess who's your new partner?!" he said, smiling from ear to ear

"No way!" I pulled out the chair next to me "I never thought you would take potions after what happened last year."

"My eyebrows grew back pretty quickly. Besides, it's still mandatory and I can never have enough classes with you. Who else am I supposed to copy off of?"

"You could actually study, and then you wouldn't have to copy off of anyone."

"You and I both know that isn't going to happen." he took the seat next to mine and opened up his book "What have you done so far this year?"

"You've missed a lot..." I said concerned

"Nonsense. Two lessons at most. I'll be able to catch up just fine."

Snape entered the room and faced the class. He grimaced when he saw Trent, "What on earth are you doing here, Laywood?"

"I know I'm two weeks late, I got preoccupied." Trent responded with a grin

"Unfortunately, as much as I would love to be the one to show you the door, you are still required to be in this class. Miss another lecture and it will be detention. I will not be repeating our previous lessons, and you will be held to the same standard as the students who didn't decide to join us two weeks late."

Trent raised his hand "Can I get last weeks notes?"

Snape's fists tightened as he stepped up to our table "If you had been here for last week's lesson, you would have last week's notes. Now shut your mouth and turn to page 81." Sounds of shuffling papers and books filled the air as Snape turned to his blackboard. He quickly scribbled down some words and grabbed his own copy of Magical Drafts and Potions

"Antidote to Common Poisons" he said tapping the pages "A relatively basic potion that even a simpleton could produce. However, it is one that even the most talented need to know and actively practice making. If you have never brewed this before, please find someone who has so you don't..." he glared at Trent "...scorch your eyebrows off." Everyone turned and stared at Trent, who had slid down in his chair. I shook my head and opened my book.

"Follow my direction word-for-word, or enjoy having to clean up your messes from doing a step incorrectly." Snape picked up a vial of powdered bezoar. "You will need to have this memorized for your upcoming OWL."

"Oh shoot, I forgot those were this year." Trent whispered to me as I picked up my mortar and pestle

"H...how could you forget about our OWLs?"

"Honestly, I just completely forgot. I haven't been paying much attention in classes lately. I'm sort of preoccupied." he tapped on a glass jar filled with unicorn horns

"If you focus you'll be able to catch up. But pay attention."

Snape slapped his hand down in front of me, "I take it by your constant chattering that you have mastered the preparation of the antidote, Mr. Evans."

"Sorry, sir." replied sheepishly. I went back to my work, shooting Trent a narrow-eyed glare

Snape began to circle around the room, looking over shoulders and peering into cauldrons. He shook his head at Gloria Higgins of Gryffindor as she added a handful of mistletoe berries instead of just two. Her potion started to smoke, and suddenly erupted a thick, viscous like substance all over herself and the others at her table.