Chapter Nine: The Winter Ball

I hadn't even had the chance to meet with Felicity before the day of the ball arrived. She had been avoiding me so much, she went as far as to skip a class so she wouldn't have to see me. Trent wasn't any help, either. He had spent his time focusing on how to convince Mallory to attend the ball with him; She had finalized her decision to go with Gregory, and was not being talked out of it.

I sucked my stomach in as I fastened the last of the many buttons that were stitched on the tailcoat. The boots they had me wear were at least one size too small, and crushed my toes in at the end. "This night is going to be absolute hell," I said to Trent, who was styling his hair with a cup of tap water, "I think you're going to be bloody brilliant." he combed his hair over his eyes "Make sure you don't trip Felicity too many times."

"She knows something, and she is going to great lengths to avoid me. I don't know how we're going to get through the night. We can't leave each other's sides."

"Yeah, I'd hate to be in your place right now. Having to spend all evening with a beautiful lady must really take its toll." he chuckled and turned around "How do I look, then?"

"If I wasn't going with Felicity, I'd go with you." I said cheekily

"Oh, hum." he looked me up and down "You look rather decent tonight yourself, Oliver."

"Thanks. The last one to wear this was about 10 pounds lighter, and much smaller footed." We both laughed and helped each other finish getting dressed. I was to meet up with the other selected students at seventeen hundred sharp. I cleaned my glasses with my sleeve and looked at myself in the mirror. My hair was nicely brushed to the side, with large waves running to the bottom. I spritzed a bit of cologne on my neck and smiled "Let's go."

We went down the stairs and out the common room door. The halls of the dungeon were scattered with students waiting for their dates. Trent and I walked up to charms room where I was instructed to meet with the other selected students. "I'll see you down there. Good luck, mate." Trent patted my shoulder and took off for the great hall. I stepped inside the charms classroom, where I saw Yataku and Oba waiting patiently by the blackboard.

"Oh, hello Oliver!" Yataku said running over to me "Are you excited for tonight?"

"A little bit, yes." I replied

"Oba and I used the court yard to practice most of the week. Where did you two practice?"

"Well, erm-" I began to say as Ellen and Floyd walked in, arm in arm

"Hope we aren't tardy to the party!" Floyd shouted

"Oh quiet, you buffoon," Ellen pulled her arm away "You're acting like an imbecile."

"Sorry, I'm just ready to get this night started!" he picked her up and swung her around

"Put me down!" she started hitting his back

Gabadi and Busiso arrived shortly after, leaving Felicity the only one to have not shown up. Everyone started to ask me questions as to her whereabouts, which I couldn't answer. I hadn't seen her since about four days ago when I ran into her in the halls after a class. She didn't say anything, only turned around and walked the other direction, "I don't understand where she could have gone." I said after we had waited in the room for almost twenty minutes. Growing concern spread across the room; we had to be in the great hall in just a few minutes. Without Felicity, we all headed out of the room and to the great hall. The doors were shut, we could hear the noises of students talking from the other side. Felicity was still nowhere to be found.

Professor Dumbledore came up to us, "Are you all ready to enter?" he asked, giving us a big smile. We all looked at each other, then back at Dumbledore who's face had turned from excitement, to worry. "Where is Ms. Day?"