Chapter Seventeen: Duel

The days to the upcoming duel that I had planned went by very slowly. I couldn't help but think I may have made a mistake. The thought of not being able to return to Hogwarts next year was starting to weigh down on me, and became even more realistic as we practised. Gregory had volunteered to help me prepare; meeting me once a day down on the training grounds.

"You need to hold your stance steady," Gregory said to me as he adjusted my arms, "I'm not letting you lose because you want to stand more on your left foot than your right."

I huffed "We've been out here for hours. I don't want to practise anymore today."

"Just one more try, then," he stepped out in front of me, lifting his wand "go ahead."

"Expelliarmus!" I shouted, knocking the wand out of his hand. I exhaled and sat on the grass, exhausted

"Good job. You're really getting quite good at this." he said sitting next to me. "And you know, I've really enjoyed the time we've gotten to spend together this week."

"Me too," I smiled at him and laid back. The clouds above me moved ever so gently with the wind as the sun was beginning to set. Gregory laid back as well, pointing up to one of the passing clouds, "What do you think that looks like?" he asked

"It looks like a bumblebee. See the wings on it's back?" I laughed

"Have you considered what you're going to do if you lose on Wednesday?"

I sighed, rolling onto my side to face him "I haven't. I'm sure my mum and dad won't exactly be the happiest. But I need to do this for Trent. Sometimes, what you want and what is right are two different things."

"You're so wise," he brushed my cheek with his hand "Hogwarts won't be the same without you."

"Hey, stop assuming I'm going to lose," I giggled "but look, I need to be going. I have one stop before I'm going to turn in for the night." I began to stand up and helped Gregory off the ground to his feet "Same time tomorrow?"

"You bet. I can't wait." he kissed my cheek, turning my whole face red. I watched him as he walked off the training grounds and up to the courtyard. I took off towards an entrance that led a little closer to the dungeons. Once inside, I roamed the halls down to the potions classroom.

"Come in, Evans." professor Snape said as he saw me in the doorway

"Thank you, sir." I walked over to where he was standing. He had a tired look on his face; his hair was messier than usual, and there were dark circles under his eyes. He softly smiled when I approached. "To what do I owe the pleasure?" he said wistfully

"I came by to talk to you. I have something coming up in just two days and I wanted to see if you had any advice for me."

He nodded, "What is it that you are needing advice for?"

"You see," I started pacing "this group of students has been terrorising Trent for this entire year it seems. That's why I needed your help learning defensive spells. I'm sure you already heard about what happened in the courtyard, and about how Selena Boeing got expelled because of it. Well, now I'm going to duel against the group's strongest member. If I fail, I won't be returning to Hogwarts next year."

Snape's face softened as he watched me pace back and forth. "Don't you think that's rather...foolish of you?"

"No, sir. I take the well-being of my friends very seriously. And I personally think that the school would be better without a group of hateful students wandering around. I have been spending the past few days with Gregory, he's taught me a little bit that will hopefully help out."