Chapter Nineteen: Wait

The sun was rising above the horizon on a warm, late spring morning. I was lying across a bench, head in Gregory's lap as he read to me from The Sacred Vial. I smiled up at him as he stumbled over the hard to pronounce words. We had decided to start meeting each other every morning to watch the sunrise together. He would read to me by the low light of his wand until the light began to peak from behind the mountains.

He looked below his glasses down at me, his face still tired from waking up early. Every once and awhile he would lay his wand hand down on my shoulders, letting the light hit against my eyes. I would see the shadows from the courtyard grow dimmer as the light hit my pupils, making them contract.

"Having this information, I was able to venture onward in the search of the sacred vial," Gregory read, "and when I complete this quest, I will be able to change the world." he shut the book and sighed, "A good place to stop for this morning, Oliver."

"Oh, alright." I said sitting upwards. The sounds of footsteps could be heard as the first students were awakening and exiting their common rooms. We continued to sit outside and watched classmates race across the courtyards to their first classes.

"I meant to ask you. Did you ever find out what professor Snape was having you hold onto?" he asked me, pushing my hair behind my ear

"Come again?" I said, confused

"You know, when he had you hold onto that thing for five days. You said you didn't know what it was; I wanted to see if you ever figured it out."

I raised an eyebrow "I have no idea what you're talking about, Gregory."

He looked at me, annoyed "Stop this, now. If you don't want to tell me just say so."

"Gregory, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about." I said back, defensively

He shook his head and stood up, tucking the book under his arm, "Look. I'm gonna go. I'll see you later." he headed into the castle, still shaking his head. I sat there, left in a state of confusion. "What was he talking about?" I asked myself as I stood up and walked inside

I made my way towards the green houses, hoping to be able to catch professor Sprout before she started a class. As I was walking, Snape rounded a corner directly in front of me. He began to turn around, a perplexed look on his face. I held up my hand, "Professor! Do you have a moment?"

He stopped in his tracks, looking back at me over his shoulder. "Mr. Evans, what do you need?"

"I had sort of an odd question for you." I walked up to him and tilted my head upwards, "Did you ask me to hold onto something for you?"

His lip quivered, "Why on earth would I trust a student to hold onto anything in my possession?"

"That's what I said!" I exclaimed "I mean, I don't recall you ever asking me to do anything like that. Gregory must have been mistaken."

"Mr. Fallin? What was he implying?"

"Oh, he said I told him that you had recruited me to hold onto something of yours. For five days, apparently. I don't remember this, but he was pretty insistent that it had happened. But, if you say it didn't, then it didn't."

"I do need to be going, Mr. Evans. I do not have time for asinine conversations such as the one we are having." he scowled at me and took his leave down the corridor. I shrugged and continued walking to the herbology wing. Professor Sprout was standing in one of the greenhouses, packing potting soil into clay pots.

"Well, Mr. Evans a pleasure to see you bright and early." she said as I entered

"It's nice to see you too, professor Sprout," I said walking up to her