Chapter Eleven: Smoke

Snape was standing behind his desk in the potions room on the day before winter break began. The floor was wet from his last class' boots; the students had just come inside from their flying lesson. I walked in, my bag over my shoulder and sat down at one of the tables. I pulled out my potions notes and textbooks and began to study. Snape turned around and looked at me, "What are you doing here, Evans?"

"Sorry, professor. I need to study." I said, not looking up from my books. He walked over and shut the book underneath me. "Can't you take this somewhere else?"

"No, I can't." I opened the book again. Snape snatched the book off of the table and threw it into a pile on his desk "Evans, I'm not giving you a choice to use my room for your foolish studies. I suggest you take your things and leave."

"Professor," I looked up at him over the rims of my glasses "I need you to understand something. If I don't do some studying right now, my friend is going to be in danger. He was attacked, and I don't think that anyone is going to do anything about it. But... okay," I started to pack up my things "I'll leave." I stood up and flung my bag back over my shoulder, walking past Snape's desk to retrieve my other textbook. His eyes followed me around the room and to the door.

"What are you expecting to learn from those texts?" he asked me just as I reached the doorway

I paused, "I don't know, sir. Something to protect him."

He walked up behind me and locked the door before I had a chance to get my hand on the knob. I sighed and dropped my bag "I know you're mad at me. I know I screwed up a lot of things this year, and last year...and the year before." I tilted my head up towards him, he was looking back at me with a softer expression than usual "I could really use your help, professor."

"Normally I don't give private tutoring. But, I suppose I could use these next couple weeks without the common rabble of students to teach you a few things." he leaned down and picked up my bag, handing it back to me "Are you staying for the winter holiday, Mr. Evans?"

I nodded "I am sir, yes."

"What about your friend?"

"I don't believe he's staying. I think he is having Mallory over for Christmas."

Snape grabbed his robe hanging next to the door and slipped it on, unlocking the door and opening it out into the hallway "Meet me back here tomorrow at noon." he said to me before he briskly walked past and departed into the dungeons.

I clutched my bag and headed upstairs to the courtyard. Trent and Mallory were standing with a large group of students waiting for the carriages to take them down to the train depot. Mallory turned around when I came up behind them and smiled

"Oliver, I'm going to miss you!" she gave me a hug and held onto me tightly

"It's just for a couple weeks." I said chuckling "Besides, you'll have Trent to keep you company. I'm sure he has lots planned for you guys to do over the holidays."

"You can say that again!" Trent jokingly slapped my back "I'm going to get to show her the country. Mum and dad just adopted a new horse, so we will probably do some riding as well."

"I've never ridden a horse before. I'm a little nervous, but I think it's going to be a lot of fun." she leaned into Trent as he put his arms around her, "What do you have planned for your time here, Oliver?" he asked

"Actually, I think I'm going to spend some time with professor Snape."

"Oh yeah?" he smirked "Doin' what?"

"Don't you worry about that. I'm hoping he can give me some advice, maybe help me with some of my studies. That's all."

The sound of professor McGonagall's voice boomed over the crowd of students, directing them all down the hill to the carriages. Trent and Mallory waved goodbye as they walked down with the rest of the waiting students, their feet leaving tracks behind in the snow. I stood out in the courtyard for a while. I watched the snow blow across the ground and swirl with the wind. The sun was hiding behind a sky full of white puffy clouds. My face grew cold as the wind blew against it, blowing my scarf gracefully over my shoulder. I took a deep breath and smiled, heading back inside.