Chapter Four

Madison stood in the airport waiting for her father. Another k-pop group was due to arrive at any minute and the airport was swamped and buzzing with teenage hormones.

Hormones. Her hormones were raging last night when she got that message from Jungkook. It was amazing the effect he had on her, even though she had two whole years on him. She was supposed to be the experienced one, but one message from him had her giggling like a school girl.

She had answered but she had the feeling that it wasn’t what Jungkook wanted to hear and she could have kicked herself for leading him on the way she did.

But she wasn’t leading him on, not exactly. She wanted him equally, if not more than he wanted her, and she realized she wanted the relationship, but she just couldn’t. She had tried to explain this to him, tried to explain how caught between a rock and a hard place she was. And while he understood (“No one in their right mind would willingly sign up to be on this roller coaster ride with me, Madison. I understand”), she knew that she had hurt him and this was probably the last time he was going to go out on a limb and be brutally honest with her.

And she was going to have to see him soon and act like things were fine between them, or rather act like she hadn’t taken a tour of his lips, or felt how soft his hands were. Purely professional. She had failed once at it before, she really hope she could pull it off this time.

Madison was so distracted she hadn’t even seen her father come out and look around concerned, searching for her familiar face.

“Dad!”

She forced her way through the crowd to throw her arms around her father. No matter how old she got, she wasn’t ashamed to admit that. He caught her up in a big bear hug and she buried her face in his black pea coat and sniffed deeply making a scent memory.  

After collecting his bags, and a quick lunch of kalbi, Madison found herself directing camera angles from her position below the stage. The sun was really beating down, and she was grateful that she wore light clothing today, her hazel eyes hidden behind the lenses of her Ray Bans.

She could feel the watchful eyes of her father not too far away, and she had to keep rolling her shoulders to relax.

“Thank You, Sistar. That’s a wrap.” The girls bowed deeply and grabbed water bottles being distributed by another coordinator on stage. She was glad that the day ended so quickly, it gave her more time to go visiting her father’s family for the thanksgiving holiday. The other groups were going to have rehearsals stretching between the next couple days, with a grand rehearsal on the day before the concert.

She had promised Jungkook that she would have been at his rehearsal and she knew that he was somewhere around here getting ready to perform but she just couldn’t bring herself to stick around and make sure it went smoothly. The less she saw of him, the better right now.

She was packing up her tote, and searching for her car keys when another one of her colleagues ran up to her panting, a telltale sign that he hurried to catch her.

“Min is caught up at the main office; she asks if you could run the other performances for her.” Madison almost screamed externally, though all sorts of bells and whistles were going off internally.

“And there’s no one else to replace her?” Out of the corner of her eye, she could see BTS warming up on the stage. Jungkook had the apron with his name on it tossed casually over his shoulder and was clowning around with Hoseuk while they prepared for the manger to give the go ahead.

The manager who had in some ridiculous twist of fate, ended up being her. She had specifically designed the schedule so that this incident wouldn’t happen. So he wouldn’t have to face her.