Chapter 5

Killian couldn't remember anything after telling Emma he loves her. He realized he was laying down, and without knowing where he was, he began to wake up.

As his eyes opened, he scanned the room. He was in the hospital and being cared for. He spotted a figure in the corner of the room and made out their golden hair. Swan.

He was about to speak when he noticed tears in her eyes. She was looking down at something in her lap. There she sat, staring down at his hook, squeezing it tight and shedding tears.

Killian couldn't help but smile at her. Not because she was sad, but because she cared for him.

"Swan," his voice sounded forced and muffled.

She immediately looked up from her lap and let out a sigh of relief that he was okay. Wiping her tears, she slightly smiled and approached the bed. She sat down next to him.

"Hey," she simply greeted.

He smiled at her. "What's wrong, love?"

"Whale said that you were severely injured and that the unidentified woman we were fighting froze your heart," she sniffled through her words, her voice nasally from crying.

Killian's expression turned to unhappiness. He paused for a moment, then spoke. "How long have I got?" he asked, his voice filled with pain, worry, and fear.

Emma was back to full on tears. "He said," she sniffed and tried to control herself, "just a few hours."

He grabbed her hand and squeezed it so tight that it caused her to glance back up at him. "Swan, listen to me. It's gonna be alright. You know it will."

"How can you be so sure? Whale said 'just a few hours.'"

"Because, love, I know us. And what we have is true. It's strength and hope. Our love is too powerful for a bit of ice. I have faith you'll save me, just as I saved you once. If this love is as powerful as I believe, there is no way you will fail. I believe in us."

Emma stared into his deep blue eyes and smiled a true, warm, loving smile. Still crying, she leaned down toward him on the bed. Their lips were but a couple inches apart when a cold shock hit Emma's hand.

She raised her body back up to see what happened. She gasped as she let go of Killian's hand. Instead of his tan hands, a blue, solid, icy texture replaced his fingers.

"Killian.." Emma spoke with confusion.

"I need a doctor. Swan, get the doctor!"

She slowly left the bed, and then quickly raced for the door. A few seconds later, Dr. Whale came barging in the room. Emma stay standing in the corner, holding his hook tight, and covering her mouth in fear.

A lady forced her to wait outside of the room, and all she could make out were statements including "freezing his heart" and "it's not going to stop."

The words hit her hard. She collapsed to the floor, curling up and afraid.

It can't end like this. How could it end like this? It was supposed to be different. The Pirate and the Princess together, it was supposed to happen.

It had to, and she was going to make sure of it. Killian was right. Their love was strong and worth fighting for. It was the best kind. And she needed to save it.