Chapter 8

I opened my eyes and struggled to breathe because my throat was dry and scratchy.

I could feel beads of sweat running down my forehead and I tried to unbind my hands from thick rope.

I stopped and looked around to let my eyes adjust to the darkness but barely being able to make anything out.

The longer I squinted, the more I could see the small table by the side of the room I was in.

I twisted my body and tried to get on my knees. From there, I was able to get up and I slowly walked to the table.

I noticed there were three objects placed neatly on it; a gun, an ax, and a syringe.

My stomach dropped when I realized what these would be used for. I flipped the ax so that it was facing up, and began to cut off the rope that kept my hands together.

I grabbed the gun, which was cold and heavy in my hands. My breath became shaky as I checked for ammunition.

I put the gun in my pocket and grabbed the ax. I considered bringing the syringe too but decided against it.

I slowly made my way out what I thought was the exit and when I opened the door, there was a note pinned to the other side.

Come find me.

I wanted to go back into the room and never go back out, but if I wanted to make it out alive, I had to go.

I swallowed the saliva that had gathered at the back of my throat and continued walking.

As I rounded the corner, I was no longer in darkness. There were very dim lights on the ceiling that were flickering every once in a while.

I had to take a few deep breaths before continuing. I walked slowly for fear that something might jump out at me at every corner.

After minutes of me aimlessly walking around through the maze of halls, I found another note.

It's more dangerous when you can't see the predator.

My breath hitched in my throat as I felt the hairs on the back of my neck rise. My stomach began hurting from fear, and my urge to pee grew...

Only after a few moments of walking, I heard a soft clang behind me. My breath became even more shaky then before, butterflies grew in my stomach.

I shut my eyes tightly, reopened them and turned around. There was nobody there.

Just to be safe, I continued walking but with my back against the wall and the gun and ax in each hand.

Quietly and slowly, I made it to the end of a hallway. With another note.

You're getting warmer.

I honestly wished I weren't.

I turned back around and took another route.

Scared yet? Turn around.

I hesitated to turn around but I still did it.

A brown door that wasn't there before suddenly appeared.

You're here.

With a shaky hand I reached out to turn the door knob, which opened smoothly.

I didn't dare take a step inside but I knew that what I was looking for, whatever the hell that was, was in there.

Why couldn't I be stuck in a field of flowers instead of a maze where I'd probably be murdered very brutally and painfully.