31 Surprise

I hate heights.

It terrifies me being high above the ground, even if it means being on a roof. Which is where I'm at right now. I tried to persuade Hailey not to let me go there but her, being the most amazing cousin ever, forced me up. The elevator ride up was the most anticipating thing I have ever experienced. I usually avoid going to floors above the fourth floor, and now having to go on the sixth? Or is it the ninth?

"Holy shit." I mutter as we get out. Firstly because I'm able to step out and see the view, the damn high view. Secondly, because this place looks so good I wonder why I haven't visited it before. Oh, that's right, I'm fucking petrified.

There are a variety of lights, of different colors, illuminating the fence and the space around the bar which is located in the middle of this huge rooftop. There is a lot of people huddled in many places and the music is coming from a DJ that is on the heightened space, separated from the crowd. The floors are dark black and shiny. It's all very beautiful but I still get the nervous feeling in my gut about this height. I wish I brought myself water because I for sure know I will feel sick if I take even a sip of alcohol.

"So." Hailey leads me over to the bar and we sit on the high chairs, overlooking the massive crowd in front of the DJ. "How do we feel about Wessy boy leaving?"

I turn my head to face my cousin with both of my eyebrows raised. She holds a stoic expression, twirling the straw in her red drink, which I think is a cocktail. I refused the drink as soon as she offered, only asking for a glass of water. The bartender must be shocked someone is actually ordering something nonalcoholic.

I tilt my head at her question and try to think of a fast and convincing answer.

"Good riddance." I fake a scoff. Well, not really. My reaction is partly realistic, seeing as Wes has taken upon himself to ignore me this entire day. I tried not to be disappointed when he left, because I clearly expected something after that breakfast and Damon's horrific flirting.

"Mhm." My cousin looks me up and down, clicking her nails against the glass. I take the glass the bartender places in front of me. "Does your vagina agree with that?"

I swear that in that moment at least three people turn their heads our way. I almost choke on the numerous ice cubes floating on the surface of my drink.

"What?!" I say in a half-yell, half-whisper, looking around with caution. My cousin sets her glass on top of the bar and looks at me warily. I follow her movements as well.

"You're sneaky, honey. But I ain't stupid." She tells me. "You thought I wasn't gonna notice you two shuffling around the hotel, playing games."

"Hails -"

"Nu-uh." She waddles her finger in front of me. "You two are hooking up and that's a fact. Can't lie to me now."

"Hailey." I say, still trying to figure out how to make her lower her voice. I know we're in the middle of a party but it's a party filled with people from the house and it's a risk I don't wanna take. "Nobody was supposed to know."

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." She puckers her lips. "I wanna know how, where, why and how long has this been going on."

I glare at her for a moment before taking a deep breath and silently explaining the situation to her. I make sure to explain my reasonings as well, although saying them out loud makes them sound a lot less mature than they do in my head. She lets me speak, occasionally wanting to interrupt but I stop her everytime. Her reactions change from time to time, but I saw that coming, it was inevitable. When I finish I take my glass again and awkwardly slurp the water.