Prologue

Sofia remembered helping her friends from Royal Prep, Vivian and Clio, step into the spotlight.

It was during Sofia's earliest days at Royal Prep when her art class was to do a dream castle project, and each student was assigned in pairs to do said project. Sofia was paired with Vivian of Zumaria, and Vivian was pretty shy. To make matters worse, Sofia's stepsister Amber and her friends were telling her rumors about Vivian. However, when Sofia got to Vivian's castle, none of the rumors the popular princesses told her were true—except that she really does have a pet dragon, who took an instant liking to Sofia's pet bunny, Clover. Sofia got to know Vivian in the process. Vivian loved music, and she was excellent on the mandolin. But she still wasn't ready to talk to the others at school, and she was thinking Sofia would do all the talking for their dream castle. But then Sofia decided that Vivian should play her mandolin during their talk, and when Vivian did so, she didn't seem so shy anymore, and everyone took a liking to her.

Sofia also remembered helping Clio. It was when Hildegard was on vacation in north Freezenburg, and Royal Prep was putting on a play called Hello Polly. Clio offered to help Sofia pick out a song for the tryouts, and Sofia got to know Clio better. Clio loved wearing hats, but Hildegard doesn't think they look good on her. Clio loved plays, but she wouldn't try out for the school play because Hildegard didn't like plays and wouldn't approve Clio doing what she wanted. Sofia got Clio to sing in front of Miss Elodie, the new drama teacher, who was so fascinated by Clio's voice that she wanted Clio to try out for the play. But on the day of tryouts, Hildegard had come home early due to a sudden warm spell in north Freezenburg, and she demanded Clio chose her over the play, which Clio did. Sofia hatched a plan with Amber: Amber took Hildegard to the theater with her travel paintings, and Clio went with her. But by the time they got there, Hildegard was furious that Amber had tricked her into taking Clio there, so she could try out for the play. Sofia said that singing and dancing make Clio happy and that she should make her own choices, but Hildegard insisted Clio couldn't. However, Clio insisted on trying out for the play much to the chagrin of Hildegard, who said that they do everything together only for Clio to retort that she always does everything Hildegard wants to do. Clio also said that she doesn't think it's fair she has to choose between being friends with Hildegard and doing something she loves. Just when it seemed like Hildegard understood, she decided Clio had made her choice and marched out. Amber confronted Hildegard, making her realize how selfish she'd been and has to make her own choice: having everything she wants or having a best friend. On the night of the play, Hildegard came in time to hear Clio sing the closing number and was rather impressed. Hildegard felt bad about the way she'd acted, and she decided to do whatever Clio wanted to do.