Trouble

I was in the kitchen, just fucking around with a new recipe I'd been testing out when I heard a knock on the front door.

I put down the cook book I was flipping through and brushed off my hands before quietly tip toeing to the front door.

I peeked through the peep hole and saw 2 cops, one man and one woman, standing on the front porch.

I gasped a bit and quietly ran up the stairs to Zack's room.

"Zack! There's cops outside!" I was shaking and panicking.

"Cops?" He asked, standing up.

"They're at the front door!" I said.

"Calm down, dammit. It'll be alright. Don't you think I know how to deal with cops? I've been on the most wanted list since I was 13!" He grabbed my hands.

"But what if they're here because they know I killed someone! 3 someone's! Oh my god, they're gonna throw me in jail and kill you!" I started tearing up.

"No, that's not possible. We covered our tracks with your friend and the other guy, and for the girl I went back later and cleaned up." He said.

"Cleaned up?" I questioned.

We heard loud knocking again, it sounded impatient.

I instantly started freaking out again, much to Zack's demise.

"For fucks sake, calm the hell down! Mostly because I'll need you to answer the door and if they see you a nervous wreck they'll know you're guilty of something." He said.

"What?! Why do I have to answer the door?!" At this point, Zack was already pushing me down stairs and telling me to calm down for the millionth time.

I forced my nerves down and put on a smile before answering the door.

"Hello officers! How can I help you?" I asked sweetly.

"Ma'am, we have a few questions for you, if you don't mind." The policewoman asked.

"Of course! Come in, I was just making cookies!" I let them inside.

I showed them to the living room and sat down across from them.

"So, have you seen anyone suspicious lately?" The male officer asked.

"Nope, not that I'm aware of." I pretended to think about it.

"And what about noises? Have you heard anything alarming?" The woman asked.

"Nope, it's always pretty quiet around here." I said.

"Alright, and may I ask why you took so long to answer the door?" The woman asked, suspicious.

"Like I said, I was making cookies. I had to clean myself up a bit before I could get the door. Didn't want flour on everything, y'know?" I chuckled.

"Okay, well, thank you for your time, ma'am, we really appreciate the cooperation." The male tipped his hat at me and stood up, the woman soon following.

I saw them out and locked the door, immediately sliding down it, my nerves finally catching up with me.

Zack came down and looked out the window before sitting down next to me.

"You're a really good actor, you didn't even stutter once." He complimented.

"Yeah, I took a few classes in high school." I chuckled.

We sat there in silence for a few minutes, enjoying the quiet.

"So, what now?" I asked.

"I don't know, wanna go killing?" He asked.

"Are you kidding? After the cops show up, you wanna go risk getting caught 5 minutes later?" I asked in disbelief.

"That's how I destress, you bake cookies, I go slit throats." He shrugged.

I scoffed and ran a hand through my hair before nodding.

"I'll go get ready."