Alone

Vincent:

The cries of that insufferable child made me want to shove daggers inside of my ears, just so I wouldn't have to hear her for another second. She had her chance to earn a piece of my love, but she blew it by listening to her foolish mother. If she were a worthy daughter, she would have obeyed.

But she was still the abomination that I hated.

The door to the basement flung open and Stella came stomping down the stairs. "What in the hell is the matter with you?  You knew that I forbade her from coming down here, yet you called her anyway."

"What do you want me to say?"  I hissed, "Did you really expect me not to take a chance?"

"And what would you have done if she let you go?"

I twisted my lips into a mischievous grin.  "I would have snapped her neck and made a run for it."

She slapped my cheek, clearly not amused.  "You're such an ungrateful bastard, Vincent.  I saved your life, and this is how you repay me?"

"Oh, come off that martyr crap! If you're unhappy with me, then kill me."

"Don't tempt me."

"Go ahead and do it!"

I struggled against the duct tape that secured my wrists to the chair, thrashing around like a man who'd lost his mind. I was sick to death of being trapped here like some sort of useless prisoner. Death was beyond preferable at the point.

Stella roughly grabbed my shoulders and held me still. The small amount of food and water that I was given each day kept me weak, so she had no problem keeping me subdued when she needed to.

"Don't be absurd, Vincent." She said, "If I was going to kill you, I would have done it by now."

"Please! Please, just put me out of my misery!"

"No."

"You deluded bitch!" I growled, "How many times do I have to tell you that I will never love you or that little monster!? You know exactly who my heart beats for, and it sure as hell ain't you."

Stella's eyes darkened and her grip on my shoulders tightened. "Don't you dare say her name in my presence."

"Emily! Emily! Emily!" I chanted her name like a school girl that was jumping rope, until Stella slapped my cheek hard enough to make my neck snap back in the chair.

"Shut up! Emily was a mistake and you fucking know it!"

"You were a mistake!"

She raised her hand to slap me again, until Matilda came running down the stairs. Her eyes were red and puffy from all the crying she had done.

"Stop fighting!" She pleaded, taking hold of Stella's arm. "You two always yell at each other, and it makes me so sad! I just want a happy family."

"Then tell your mother to find another man to hold hostage." I spat, "Because we will never be happy."

She scratched her head. "What does hostage mean?"

"Never mind." Stella said, "Go back upstairs and watch your show. Your father and I are talking."

"You're not talking." She pouted, "You're yelling."

Stella kneeled down and placed her hands on her cheeks. "I'm sorry. I promise we'll keep it down."

Her eyebrows plunged down with uncertainty, but she nodded. "By the way, who's Emily?"

Stella's mouth fell agape and she looked like a deer caught in headlights.