The Calvary

Eight Hours Ago in Tokyo, Japan, 12:30 PM:

James disconnected the disturbing phone call that he shared with his lovely ex-wife, looking around at the well dressed businessmen sitting around him.

He was in the middle of an important business lunch when he received the phone call.  Hesitant to answer it while in the presence of his boss, he knew that she would not call him unless it was urgent, especially since it was so late where she was.

His instincts were correct.  Their daughter's friend had been murdered, and she was missing.  His mind immediately thought the worse. 

What if she had been kidnapped?  Or worse.

His face grew pale and tiny beads of sweat began to form on his forehead.  There was nothing he could do from all the way across the world.  All he could do was hope and pray that she was alright.

"Reed-San."  One of his bosses said, "You look like something is troubling you. Are you okay?"

James shook his head and pulled out his wallet, showing him a picture of Cora.  "This is my step daughter. I just found out that she's missing."

"Oh no.  Gomen'nasai."

"Dōmo arigatōgozaimasu, Tanaka-San."  James said, bowing his head.  "I'm sorry to disrupt the meeting with this unfortunate news.  Shall we proceed with the arrangements?"

"Certainly not."  Mr. Tanaka said, "You can sell us prime real estate anytime, Reed-San.  But right now it sounds like your family needs you."

"But you've been waiting for months for this deal."

"True, but I can wait a little longer." Mr. Tanaka's underlings nodded in agreement, so he pulled his cellphone from his shirt pocket. "Please, permit me to make your flight arrangements. There is a plane leaving Haneda Airport in two hours, and if you hurry and pack your bags, you can catch it."

James stood from his chair and bowed gratefully to each of them.  "Arigatō!  Arigatō!"  He said before running out of the restaurant.

He hailed a taxi cab and arrived at his hotel room in less than ten minutes.  Frantically packing his suitcase, he ran down the stairs and checked out of the hotel in a hurry. 

Some of the locals stared at him curiously as he ran back outside and down the sidewalk until he reached the airport.  He purchased his ticket and sat in the chairs located right outside of the gate. 

It would be at least eleven hours before he arrived to America, and that was far too long for him to worry about his family.  He had to act now.

He dug his cellphone out and dialed a number.

When the call was answered, he said, "Hello there, Hope."

"James?  Wow, it's been a long time."

"I know.  Say, listen.  I need you to do me a favor."

"Ah, so that's why you called."  She joked, "I should have known you were too busy and successful to-"

"Hope, listen to me.  This is serious."

"I'm sorry.  What's the favor?"

"I know this is asking a lot, but would you mind driving down to Rockport to check on Emily?"

"Is something wrong?"

"Cora is missing."

Hope gasped.  "Oh no!"

"Yes, and Emily is sick with worry.  I thought it might help her to have a friend around.  But if you can't-"

"Of course I can!"  Hope insisted, "I'll go pack my bags right now.  I'll be there first thing tomorrow."