Discovery

Vincent:

Pushing around a mop and listening to a bunch of foolish high school children was not my idea of the perfect career, but it was the only job I was able to get on such short notice without a college degree.

The job opening caught my eye when I was reading the newspaper a few days ago, and I immediately went in for an interview. The pay was decent enough and there were some good benefits that went with it, the best being that I was working at the same school that my sweet Cora attended.

I first saw her while I was mopping up a pool of vomit in the cafeteria. She was the absolute spitting image of her mother, beautiful brown hair that was pulled into a long ponytail, and fair skin that accentuated the dark eyes she inherited from me.   She'd grown up to be absolutely gorgeous.

I wanted to run up to her right then and there, but of course I knew that would end in disaster.

Instead, I used this time to observe her from afar.

What kind of girl had she grown up to be?

Was she as pure as she was when she was a child?

The answer was mildly disappointing. The group of girls she ran around with were a rough bunch, the kind that would make life hell for her if she didn't break away from them. They were athletes that used their beauty to lure young guys into heartbreak, I was certain of it. But my Cora would never do that, at least that is what I tried to tell myself.

Besides, I couldn't help but notice that she was running around with one guy in particular, a guy that looked like a groupie for a grunge band. His hair was a disheveled mess, and the clothes he wore looked like they were fresh out of the dirty clothes hamper.

He was definitely not good enough for her.

I kept a close eye on her for the next several days, making sure that she stayed out of trouble.  It was difficult to watch her at all times without looking like a pervert, so I was careful not to be too obvious.

"Yo, Powell!  Look alive!"

The sound of my fake last name was still strange to hear, but I was getting used to it.  I turned around to see one of the other janitors, a guy by the name of Mike, tossing a can of soda at me.  I held on to my mop with one hand, using the other to catch the can. 

Mike chuckled.  "How much longer is your shift?"

School was already out for the day, and I was using the extra time to pick up some extra cash, as well as observing Cora while she practiced basketball.  She was really very good at it, which made me proud.

"About another hour."  I said, opening the soda.  I took a sip and wiped the sweat from my brow.

"You wanna grab a beer later?"

"Nah, I can't.  I've gotta help my daughter with her math homework."

Matilda was enrolled in the elementary school under the name 'Charlotte Powell.' She was excited at the idea of having a new identity, saying it made her feel like a movie star. Her cooperation made life easier than I thought possible, given the unfortunate circumstances that lead up to this.

We moved into to a two bedroom apartment that was cheap and relatively nice.  My plan was to save up another ten thousand dollars before I revealed myself to Emily and Cora.  That would be just enough money for us to live on for a little while.

"You're such a softie, Powell."  Mike said, slapping my shoulder.  "But that's what I like about you."

I chuckled and turned my attention back to Cora, who had just shot another basket.  Her teammates cheered her on and continued tossing the ball.