Breakfast

Vincent:

After spending the night caressing and holding my sweet Emily as tightly as I could, I woke up early in the morning with a smile on my face.  I made sure not to disturb Emily as I climbed out of bed, since it had taken her over four hours to fall asleep.

I stretched my arms and hummed a happy tune as I tiptoed down the hallway. Carefully opening Cora's bedroom door, I peered in there to see that my girls were sleeping soundly. Cora was lying on her back, while Matilda laid with her arm around her.

They looked so adorable.

Everything was going to work out. With a little time, I was sure that Emily and Cora would welcome us into their home with open arms.

We could hang a few new pictures on the wall and even do a little redecorating in the living room.

I could hardly wait.

I closed the door and went into the kitchen to see what there was to eat. The refrigerator contained a large box of eggs, definitely enough to make all four of us a delicious breakfast. I searched for a few more ingredients before I began cooking.

The smell of bacon must have woken Cora up from her much needed sleep.  She came into the kitchen and rubbed her eyes with a frown.  "It's four o'clock in the morning.  Why are you cooking so early?"

"Sorry if it woke you up, honey." I set down the spatula and walked over to her, placing my hands on her shoulders with a smile. "I was just so excited about giving this family another chance that I could not stay in bed another minute."

"The smell is making me nauseous." She said with a frown, putting her hands on her stomach. "Can I please step outside for a minute or two?"

"No. I don't think that's a good idea." I playfully touched her nose with my index finger. "I can't have you sneaking off, now can I?"

She pushed my hand away.  "You know, I could pick up that butcher knife over there are jam it into your stupid throat, and I would have no remorse."

The smile crumbled from my lips. 

She was only saying that to hurt me. 

I couldn't be angry with her. 

Teenagers were supposed to be rebellious, and given the fact that I killed her boyfriend, she had more of a reason to treat me a little harshly.

Now I knew what Emily had been dealing with the last couple of years.

I would be able to help her with discipline, because she was obviously lacking heavily in that area.

"Now, Cora. We both know you don't mean that."

"Actually, I do mean it."

"You must apologize for talking to me that way."

"Or what?"

Her challenge temporarily sent me over the edge.

I roughly grabbed the sides of her face and squeezed her cheeks together, causing her to wince in pain as her lips poked out.  "Look, I don't know how you spoke to your mother in my absence, or even how you spoke to that sissy James, but you will be respectful when you speak to me."

She tried to pull away, which only made me tighten my grip on her. "No matter what you think of me, I am and will always be your father.  And if you can't keep those horrid thoughts to yourself, I suggest you keep your damn mouth shut. Is that clear?"

She nodded her head frantically, putting her hands over her face as soon as I let her go.  I could tell she wanted to smart off to me again by the way she was glaring at me, but she heeded my advice and stayed silent.  Why was it so hard for her to do that in the first place?  She had no idea how lucky she was.