The Truth.

Kara Walker.

"Kira?"

"Kara, you've grown so much." She said standing up.

"What are you doing here?" I asked pushing the little boys behind her legs.

"Your father wanted me to talk to you before he died. I've been looking for you ever since." She said.

"What are you talking about? My father's dead. He's been dead for year." I said as a tear fell from my face.

"I know and if I could change everything you'd still have your father and Kate here with you today." She said.

"What are you here for?" I asked again.

"To tell you the truth." She said.

"The truth?" I questioned.

"Yes." She said sitting down and patting the seat next to her.

"Aiden take your brother and go to your room. Wait until mommy's done talking and we'll do something fun, okay?" I said.

"Okay. Come on, Chance." He said and they ran up the stairs.

"They're handsome young boys." She said staring after them.

"If you touch one little curly strand of hair on their heads, I will kill you." I snapped.

"I would never do such a thing." She said and I slowly walked towards her.

I sat down on the couch and turned to face her as she cleared her throat. She reached out and grabbed my hands. I resisted the urge to snatch them away.

"Eighteen years ago your father and I were arguing. It got pretty bad and he hit me. I started packing my bags and I was planning on taking you and Kaiden with me but your father told me I had to leave by morning and if I tried to take you and your brother he'd kill me." She said.

I snatched my hands out of hers and stood up. I ran a hand down my face and turned to her.

"You're lying." I said and she stood up shaking her head.

"I'm not lying, I can show you." She said.

She walked towards me and pulled me into a hug. I felt like I could trust her so I wrapped my arms around her. I felt a sharp pain in the back of my neck.

I saw a little girl sobbing into a little boys chest as their parents yelled.

"Kaiden." The girl whimpered.

"Shh, it's going to be okay Kara. I promise." He said and kissed her on top of her head.

The boy stood up and grabbed the little girls hand. He pushed the door open a little and he looked out into the hall. He walked out of the room with his sister right behind him.

He heard a loud smack and he turned to see his mother lying on the floor and his father standing over her. The little boy pushed the girl behind him as their mother stood up and pushed past her husband.

"Kira, baby, I'm sorry." He apologized.

"Kaiden." The little girl whimpered.

"Come on, it's time for bed." Kaiden said dragging the little girl into another room.

He shut the door behind him and the little girl burst into tears. He walked over to her and pulled her into a tight hug.

"If you go anywhere near them I will kill you Kira. You will not touch them." The voice said and Kara whimpered.

"Kara, it's going to be okay." He said and he walked her over to her bed and say next to her. He tucked her in as the yelling stopped and the door opened.

"Mom, are you okay?" Kaiden asked.

"I'm fine." She said and sat in between Kaiden and Kara.

They both groaned in pain and soon fell asleep. Kira tucked them in and grabbed her bag walking out of their lives forever.

I gasped when my vision came back. I looked around saw I was in the living room of my house. I looked up and saw Kira looking down at me.

"All these years, I-I was told you left us for someone else." I said and Kira shook her head.

"I've always loved your father. I love you and your brother. It was either leave you or be killed." She said.

"Mommy, I'm tired." Chance said yawning and Aiden right behind him.

"I'll be right there." I said and they nodded.

"Thanks for telling me the truth but I still don't trust you, at least not now." I said.

"It's okay. Go take care of your boys." She said and headed towards the door.

I followed Chance and Aiden up the stairs for their bath. After bathing Chance and Aiden I tucked them into bed and headed to my room. I changed into my pajamas and crawled into bed still thinking about the truth.