Why Now?

Ashton Richards.

"Ashton!" My father roared.

I sighed and crawled out of bed. I pulled on a pair of sweats and opened the door to my room. I walked down the hall and to his office. I lightly tapped on the door and pushed it open.

"Yes, dad." I said.

"What the hell is this?" He asked holding up a picture from the night Aaron and I went to the club.

I scratched the back of my neck and left out a nervous chuckle, "it's a picture of Aaron and I at Lacey's birthday party last year."

"Is this how you want your pack members to see you?" He asked.

"It was last year, I've changed since then. I occasionally go out and have a few drinks but I'm not like that anymore." I said.

He sighed and dismissed me. I walked back to my room and showered. After my shower I brushed my teeth and washed my face.

I changed into a hoodie and a pair of jeans. I pulled on some converse and my beanie. I grabbed my wallet and keys off of the dresser and walked down the stairs.

I walked outside into the January weather. I got inside the car and started it up immediately turning on the heater. I know what some of you are thinking. But you're a werewolf why do you need a heater? Well,

I'm a special kind of wolf, my body heat drops and raises with the weather. I know weird right?

I started the car and drove to the hospital. My mother was very sick and she needed a lung transplant since hers collapsed in a car wreck. I wanted to be by her side every minute of the day but she would tell me she's fine and I needed to go home.

I parked the car and jogged into the hospital. When I opened the door I smiled at Jackie and she smiled back. She reached across the desk and gave me a visitors pass. I thanked her and headed to my mother's room. When I reached her room I lightly tapped on the door. I pushed it opened and she smiled at me. I chuckled and closed the door behind me.

"Ashton." She said reaching out for me.

"Hey mom." I said taking her hand in mine.

"She's coming back." She giggled.

"Who?" I asked confused.

"Sandra, silly." She giggled again.

I chuckled, "mom are you okay?"

"They gave me some medicine and I've never felt better." She sighed.

"Okay." I said.

"I love you, Ashton." She said before falling asleep.

"I love you too." I said kissing her cheek.

~

After visiting my mom in the hospital I thought a good walk in the park could help me clear my head. I thought about everything from the past two years to now.

I still can't believe I slept with her and I didn't even know her name. I rubbed my hands together and blew in them. As I walked around the park I heard the yelling and laughter of little kids.

I miss those days. I thought to myself. I heard someone call my name and I turned around and saw Aaron running towards me. He looked out of breath as he stopped in front of me. I chuckled and slapped his back.

"You know for such a nice person, you can be a little rough." He said.

"It isn't the first time I heard it." I smirked and his face twisted in disgust.

"Gross, but I came to tell you that Sam and Taylor found an omega running around the woods." He said.

"I'll get to it but I just need to clear my head." I said and he nodded walking away.

I turned around and bumped into someone. Sparks coursed through my body at the impact. I quickly reached out and grabbed her before she fell. I pulled her into me and we both panted.

"Hi." I said with a smile.

"Hi." She said and blushed.

"Would you like to start over?" I asked.

She nodded and extended her hand, "Kara."

"Ashton." I said and shook her hand.

"So, Ashton where are you from?" She asked.

"I was actually born and raised here in Colorado." I said.

"Really, so was I." She said.

"What high school did you go to?" I asked as we sat down on a bench and watched the kids play.

"Farroh's fine arts." She said.

"Intelligent are we?" I asked and she blushed.

"I went to Bradford high school." I said and she nodded.

"Our football team beat yours." She bragged.

"Okay, I know I messed up during that game but I was playing out of anger." I said.

"That was you?" She asked and I nodded.

"Kara, I want to make things right. I know we both made the dumbest decision two years ago and you seem like a really nice girl and I'd love to take you on a date." I said.

*

Kara Walker.

"Why now?" I asked.

"Huh?" He asked.

"Why now? I called you and left a message and you never called back. Why would you wait two years to ask me on a date?" I said and anger bubbled inside.

"What message are you talking about?" He asked.

"You mean you didn't get the message?" I asked and he shook his head.

I can't tell him that the twins are his now. It'll ruin everything. I mean, I want to hate him for walking out the next day and at the same time I just want to be with him. I know, it sounds like I'm rushing things but it's not like that. I want to be with him because my boys need a male figure to look up to.

Don't get me wrong, Kaiden's great with the twins but these boys need a father not a sperm donor. I smiled when Chance and Aiden ran over to me.

"Mommy, I'm really cold." Aiden said and Chance nodded.

"Me too."

"Are you guys ready to go?" I asked and they nodded.

"Okay, when we get home you're taking a bath and you're going to bed. I have a paper I need to finish." I said grabbing our bag.

"Okay. Bye Ashton." The boys said waving.

"See you around, Kara." He said.

The way he said my name sent shivers down my spine. I quickly brushed them away and waved. I put the boys in their car seats and buckled them up. I got in and started up the car. When we pulled into the parking lot of our house I noticed another car sitting in the drive way.

I got the boys out of the car and we walked into the house. I unlocked the door and saw the face that I hadn't seen in years.

"Kira?"