Knees to Chest

(Chapter summary: Arthur has a headache and a nagging feeling of self hatred and the want to hurt someone.)

Arthur didn’t eat which was strange, usually he would pick at his food, but he didn’t even do that, he didn’t even look at it.

“You need to eat,” Fran sighed and shrugged at Graham and Watts, Rabossan was nowhere to be seen.

Arthur vigorously shook his head and whimpered, shoving the food off the side of the bed, second plate broken in the span of three days.

“Where’s Rabossan when you need ‘em?” Graham ran a hand down his face as Watts started cleaning, such a nice lad really. Arthur visibly shook at Rabossan’s name. “Do you not like him?” Arthur shot his gaze up to Graham and shook his head, smiling tightly and warrily looking around.

“N-no! Why wouldn’t I? He’s- he’s… Nice?” Arthur is very bad at lying when it’s something that he wants to tell someone.

“Arthur,” Graham warned, Arthur looked back down and said nothing. Fran sighed and scratched his neck.

“He beat me.” It was such a simple statement but it made time slow.

“He… Beat you?” Arthur blinked rapidly and nodded, avoiding eye contact.

“Why?” Watts furrowed his brows as he cupped the last remaining shards of plate in his hand, tossing it in the trash.

“Didn’t like that I pushed Fran off the bed,” Arthur answered, Fran poked up at his name.

“How do you know my name?”

“I’m not deaf, I keep track of your names so I can distinguish you better.” Arthur closed his eyes and groaned, clenching his jaw.

“Is that why you haven’t been eating? Have hidden? You haven't been talking to us as much either.” Watts said in thought, Arthur nodded.

“Yeah.”

“Shit, how didn’t we pick up on this? We’re supposed to be his caregivers!” Graham hissed, Arthur opened his eyes and looked at them.

“Why am I here? Where am I? How did I get here?”

“Whoh, slow down there.” Graham laughed, Arthur’s frown deepened as Graham’s laugh abruptly stopped and his eyes went wide. “Em- should we tell him?”

“You were found underwater, passed out and drowning, we retrieved you and took you here. We were called because of our certain traits and abilities. I’m a doctor and some say I have a more comforting aura compared to other doctors," Arthur nodded and snorted. "Graham is strong and playful, Watts is kind and patient, Rabossen has virtually no remorse,” Fran replied. “You’re in our backyard, in a small shed, still in Wellington Wells. If you want we could open the windows.” Arthur nodded and Watts walked outside, drawing back some white and red checkered curtains.

“Why am I here?” Arthur peered up between his knees at Fran, Graham, and Watts.

“That’s confidential. I would tell you if I could but me and the others could get in serious trouble.” (Author: How do I disguise that I dont know why he's there? Aha!) Arthur nodded and looked down, internally screaming at himself for giving in and telling them.

“Goodnight, Arthur.” They walked out as Arthur shivered.

The tightening in his stomach returned, his knees warmed up and thumped, his fingers went cold, and his hands started to sweat.