Epilogue

A few months later

“Zion loves his uncle more.” Saul held him in his arms as they reached their home. Efuru tickled baby Zion and watched him giggle, “That’s right you love aunty more.” Zipporah and Izrahiah pulled a face and made Zion giggle, “Oh we are definitely his favourite."

“Zion say Theo.” Theophilus smiled in his face, Zion’s big blue eyes met Theo’s dark brown eyes, a smile was spread across baby Zion’s pink lips. His gums were revealed and so was his pink tongue. He stuck his tongue out and poked Theo’s nose with his small and soft fingers.

Theo laughed, “One day, one day.”

Santanna stopped by Saul’s side and looked at her beautiful baby boy, her son Zion. His big blue eyes met hers and matched hers. His gums and smile made her heart melt. She ran her fingers through his light and tight brunette curls. She kissed his face and brushed his warm cheeks.

The worst thing in my whole life became the most beautiful thing. The most embarrassing thing that brought so much shame became the most beautiful thing. And like a baby that’s born, all the pain and dirt became the most beautiful thing. 

“I love you Zion.”

Santanna was a mother to her son who she had named Zion.

13  For the Lord has chosen Zion,

    he has desired it for his dwelling, saying, […]

                 - Psalm 132:13

Zion is a very precious place to the heart of God.We read about it, sing about it and even wonder where it is. 

In Biblical terms it is the hill on which the city of David was built and perhaps where the Ecclesiastical meaning of the highest place, or Heaven, comes from. Zion is precious to the heart of God and it's essentially what Jesus came to establish -- Heaven on earth. God is birthing His kingdom in us and through us here on earth and that is exemplified through what Jesus is about: mercy, love, forgiveness, generosity, justice - all of those things - and that's how we are called to live our lives. We get the chance to be a part of building God's kingdom here on earth.

“Zion, heaven on earth.” Theo did his traditional routine of reading the portraits and verses around Malaika’s home, their home.

“John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

Zipporah beat him to the next portrait of a verse he was about to read out loud.

Efuru ran ahead of the family  into the main room expecting Malaika to be there, but she wasn’t. Her car was parked on the drive but she didn’t seem to be downstairs. She ran upstairs to her room and found no sign of her.

“Malaika?” She called her around the house but got no response. Efuru ran downstairs informing the family about her disappearance, but they brushed it off and assumed she had gone somewhere and would soon return.

By midnight, the family were worried and Malaika was still not home. The last time they had seen her was in the morning before they left to go for a walk around the neighbourhood. She had been acting normal and they hadn’t noticed anything different about her.