Twenty-Eight - Day 56

Rex vaulted over the back seat and into the cargo area of the suv, crinkling the plastic wrap around the case of water he landed on.

"Good boy," I praised him. Shawn and I were sharing the seats in the middle of the vehicle and I'd encouraged the big dog into the far back to give us more space. Bill was already behind the wheel, looking at a map that Charlie had handed him earlier.

Charlie had quietly told us that she'd marked the school's location on the map so we could find our way back.

Now Bill was studying the map, trying to figure out the best route to get to DC. Not that it mattered, I guessed, because we had an escort who knew the way.

I frowned at the thought. I'd had no clue that Marcus and Sam intended to go with us, at least, not until Ned let it slip the night before. The leader had acted as though it was a given the two men would accompany us, like there had been no other option at all.

I got it, I guessed. Ned trusted Marcus, and by extension, Sam. I bet he thought we would be thankful for the two men's presence.

It was just the first of what I was sure was going to be many setbacks during this journey. I wasn't stupid. Making it just this far south had literally killed some of us. I shuddered to think that we were going back outside of the fences.

Maya climbed into the front seat and closed her door. Out the front window, I saw Ned standing at the gate, ready to let us out. We'd already said our goodbyes to the rest of the group, the pavement surrounding the two vehicles was crowded with people all wanting to see us off. Some smiled and waved, most looked vaguely uncomfortable, as they waited for us to go. The early morning air was almost chilly enough to see their breath.

Maggie and Charlie stood to the side of the crowd looking solemn, Luna between them, one hand clinging to Maggie's shirt tail. Trying to explain to the girl that we were leaving had been hard. Really hard.

A light knock on the window made me look. Alex stood just outside Shawn's door. Rolling his window down, he quirked a questioning brow at the nurse.

"Um, I thought these should go with you. You know, for the CDC." The nurse handed a notebook in through the window. He leaned down to peer in. When he glanced at me, I thought he looked almost apologetic. "They're my notes from just after the bite. There may be something important in there that their scientists need to know."

"Ok, thanks." Shawn took the small book and started looking for a place to put it with his things.

Alex's gaze flickered around the vehicle one last time, and his mouth tightened almost imperceptibly. "Be safe, guys," he backed out of the window.

The window rolled up with a low hum, shutting out the noise made by those gathered outside again.

"Everybody ready over there?" The voice suddenly coming through the radio in Maya's hand was too loud.

"Ready," she replied and adjusted the volume to a less startling level. The radios had been a parting gift from Ned, so we could talk to each other while in the different cars.

The shiny black pickup rolled forward and the nausea that had been churning my stomach all morning ratcheted up to a whole new level. Bill glanced over at his wife, the two of them speaking without saying a word, and he put our suv into gear. The sun had barely begun to climb into the sky when we pulled through the open gate.

The plan was deceptively simple. Follow that black truck, don't stop unless we absolutely had to, and make it to the strongholds in DC alive. It sounded easy, except nothing was easy in this new world. I glanced over the back of my seat to the red can full of gas that was sloshing around and stinking up the car. At least we should be able to make it quite a ways before fuel became a problem.