Thirty-Three - Day 56

We were back in the back of the pickup, only now it was even more crowded with all of the new stuff we'd gathered on our last stop. The last couple of gallons of gas had gotten us farther up the road, but gas was the one thing that we hadn't found during our stop. We were running on fumes again.

We were in the middle of a long stretch of deserted highway. The dusty signs that we had been passing had warned that there were no more gas stations for a long time. Not that a gas station was likely to do us any good, but if there were no gas stations, then there wasn't likely to be any other signs of civilization either. It was going to be a really long walk if we didn't find more fuel soon.

"Hey guys," Marcus leaned out of the passenger window to shout back, Sam was driving now. "There's a rest area up ahead. I think we should stop there for the night. It will be safer than sleeping out in the open."

There was still a few hours of daylight left, judging by the placement of the sun in the sky, but he was probably right. It was looking more and more likely that we were going to be on foot soon, and there was no way we could walk to the next town before dark. It would be better to find shelter if possible and start again in the morning.

Bouncing around in the bed of a pickup was not a comfortable ride, and it was making me feel every ache and pain that I had accumulated. The only relief I'd found had come when Shawn had put one arm behind my back, cushioning the hard metal edge of the truck that we were leaning against. His arm had to be killing him, but he didn't give any indication, just kept me tucked into his side. Grateful as I was, I was also feeling more and more guilty with every passing mile.

Getting out of the bed of the truck for a few hours sounded like a good plan to me. No one really responded to Marcus, but he hadn't been asking anyway. When the pull off appeared ahead of us Sam guided the truck toward the low building that was tucked back amid trees.

The rest area was primitive. A small, brown building was flanked on either side by several picnic tables. A parking area with spaces big enough for eighteen wheelers ran right up to the entrance to the building. The trees had been thinned enough to create a grassy area all around, but there were still enough of them to keep it shaded.

Our vehicle was the only one in sight, but it was immediately apparent that this was a regular stop for people traveling along this road. Several blackened fire pits were scattered through the trees. Trash had been left on the ground and fluttered in the slight breeze. A well worn sleeping bag had been abandoned in a heap next to the nearest makeshift campsite. And the most telling thing of all, tires had recently crushed the grass when someone had drove their vehicle right over the sidewalk to park it between two picnic tables.

The sparse grass was overgrown and long, and the marks were easily noticeable. Other people, or at least one person, had been in this exact same spot not to long before us. Logically I knew that there had to still be others out there who were clinging to survival just like us, but seeing the evidence of such a thing gave me hope that humanity wasn't quite as doomed as it looked like we were.

Sam parked the truck and we all scrambled from the back of it. I wasn't the only one who needed a break from our current mode of transportation. The small building in front of us only had one entrance and we moved forward to search it.

Inside, a small lobby held a couple of empty vending machines, and a large display of flyers boasting all of the attractions that used to be found in the area. The vending machines had been broken into and anything remotely food-like was gone. One machine still held small packages of instant coffee and tea bags. Everything else was long since cleaned out.

While I had been peering through the gloom into the broken open machine, the rest of the group had moved to either of the two doors on the other side of the room that were clearly marked as bathrooms. A couple of them disappeared into either door, only to reappear quickly. Maya's nose was wrinkled in disgust. "Don't go in there," she told me as she pulled her door closed behind her. "That's just nasty."

It didn't take too long for us to deem the rest of the area as safe as any place could be. There really wasn't much around us except for miles and miles of trees. On unspoken agreement, we all moved our meager belongings into the lobby of the building. It had a sturdy door that closed firmly, so it really was a no brainer. Sleeping inside would be much safer than sleeping exposed outside. I shuddered at the memory of the night we barely escaped the pair of zombies while camped next to the carnival. We had had a lot of close calls, but that one had been too close.

The hard tile floor wasn't going to be very comfortable to sleep on, but it wasn't the first time we'd slept someplace that would have horrified me to stay before all of this had happened. I barely even took note of the dirt on the floor anymore. If the place was dry and had four walls and a working door, then it looked like home to me, especially so long as I had family with me.

It was still daylight when we settled in, but honestly everyone was so tired that we barely took time to eat. Maya and Bill had agreed to take the first watch and feeling secure that the pair could be trusted to watch our backs, I did my best to get comfortable on the floor. The room was quiet except for the shuffling around from the others trying to do the same. No one had really spoken except for the bare necessities. I guessed there really wasn't that much to say.

Finally scooting closer to Shawn so I could use him as a pillow, I sighed. The tension that had kept me wound tight all day was still there, but I did my best to let a fraction of it go. It was the only way I was going to get any rest.

- - -

Hey guys!

Thank you all for your patience!!! I have been a very busy girl, doing all of the things that need done when you are about to publish a book. For real, it's like, a lot of things. Lol. But as of a couple of Saturdays ago, The First 30 Days is officially published through Typewriter Pub! I know, I'm still over here pinching myself. It's surreal.

But anyhow, that flurry of activity is over, and I should have a bit more free time to get back to After 30 Days. I'm not going to promise you weekly updates just yet, because I hate to be a liar, but I will do my best to get this story going again. Bri has been giving me the side eyes and Shawn's like "wtf lady, let's get going." so I know they're ready to tell you all about what happens next.

Much love to you all ❤️🧟‍♂️❤️