12 | Calm Horses

"Don't leave me!" Otis whined, refusing to let go of Chaska who was trying to leave him on the pony alone

     "Don't leave me!" Otis whined, refusing to let go of Chaska who was trying to leave him on the pony alone. The man laughed, holding the little boy's hands before showing him how to hold on to the reins. Otis was wearing faded jeans and a nice plaid top. The adults were in similar attire, both in jeans and loose t-shirts.

     "I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going to ask Kiwi here to move," Chaska said, trying to reassure the three-year-old that seemed to be on the brink of tears. Otis nodded, and Chaska let go of the shaking boy, moving to hold on to the reins too. He clicked his tongue, walking forward, and the brown pony followed him. Otis, who had been on the edge of waterworks a few seconds ago was now laughing and letting out high-pitched squeals.

     Kyle watched all this from his position behind the fence. It was Sunday noon, and he had Chaska had brought Otis over to a farm to ride a pony as they had promised. They were going to his place later for dinner, and it was there Kyle planned to put his plan into action. He had ruminated over it all night, yesterday, and he was yet to find a reason why he shouldn't go through with it. Yes, they had agreed to take things slow, but if they went on with Chaska's pace, they would never leave this odd middle ground between friends and lovers.

     "Daddy look! I'm riding a horse!" Otis squealed. He had somewhere along the line lost hold of the reins and was now gripping hand fists full of the poor pony's main.

     "Yes, you're doing amazing!" Kyle said, bending over the fence a bit and forming a little mic over his mouth. It was lovely to see his son have so much fun. Back in the suburbs, it had been lots of crying and screaming. It was nice to see Otis' face turn red from the sun and not from uncontrollable sobbing.

     "Should we go a bit faster?" Chaska asked, and Otis nodded, making the man walk the pony around with increased speed.

     When Otis had his fill of riding the horse Chaska let him feed the pony treats. They joined Kyle by the gates soon after, and the adults talked while Otis hopped around and chased chickens.

     "Thanks for bringing him here," Kyle muttered, making Chaska shrug.

     "It's my pleasure. You're the one who drove us here. I just told you where it was and who to ask for permission," Chaska muttered, smiling in a way that made the side of his eyes wrinkle up. He leaned in, shocking Kyle by pressing a quick kiss to his lips. "It was fun for me too," he added, looking away from Kyle and out into the enclosed farm space that Otis was still playing in.

     The change of pace dazed Kyle a bit, but he did everything in his will not to make it obvious. He didn't want to make Chaska panic. This was good. This was progress.

     He looked over at the man's hand that was holding on the wooden fence, and after giving it a little thought he reached out to hold the man's hand, giving it a squeeze. Chaska didn't react, but Kyle could feel that the and was just as nervous as he was. His hand was shaking a bit, and his jaw was set a little too tight.