21 | I'm Serious

The two men left the house at about eleven at night

     The two men left the house at about eleven at night. Kyle drove them through the quiet streets, and the two listened to country music as the rural roads started to give way to the concrete ones leading to the small urban area a little out of town.

     Kyle took notice when Chaska started looking out of the window.

     "We're almost there," the man said, smiling a bit. It was one of those smiles that touched his eyes. Kyle felt he had to be excited. They'd been planning to do this for over two months now.

     "Here," Chaska said, turning to tap Kyle's thigh to alert him of the little bar tucked between two office complexes. The blond man nodded, trying his best to spot an empty space in the dark parking lot across the bar. When he parked, he and Chaska got down.

     Unlike the bar, Chaska was quick to walk over to him and held his hand. The younger man grinned at him, pulling him out of the dark parking lot, and into the streets lit with night lights and neon store signs.

     The smell of flavored vapor was in the air—a contrast to the cigarette smoke from the bar back in town. Chaska pulled Kyle through the little crowd that was by the door. For the most part, he kept his eyes forward, but he couldn't stop himself from catching the gazes of a few of the men and drag queens at the door.

     Kyle had seen drag queens before, but unlike the ones in the city, it was obvious these queens were making do with cheap materials, wigs, and makeup. They almost looked like dressed mannequins in a clothing retail store. 

     Chaska seemed to recognize some faces because he was stopped a few times and spoken to in a fast pattern filled with slang words Kyle didn't understand.

     "Is this your new man?" one of the many men that called out to Chaska ask. The young man didn't say anything, he just tightened his grip on Kyle's shoulder as he continued to lead him to a section of the bar that was less rowdy.

     When they had taken seats, Kyle took his time to look around. The place was colorful, and the decor was shiny and loud. It imitated an opulence that Kyle wasn't used to.

     "You should try the tequila," Chaska hummed when the man that had come to take their order left. "They also have decent food here," he drawled, blinking a bit before looking over his shoulder to the stage at the center of the bar. It seemed the performer for the night was running a bit late.

     "You'll love the show, the queens here are hilarious," Chaska said. His clear tone stood out in the sea of chatting and laughter. Kyle smiles a bit, watching as the man gazed at the stage. There was something childish about Chaska's expression when he was excited. It seemed like the static brooding mask he wore every day was taken off in those moments.

     "Honestly, I'm not sure I'll get any of the comedy," Kyle said, making Chaska turn to look at him.

     "Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see," the younger man said, grinning before reaching out to hold Kyle's hand. "How are you so far, uncomfortable?" Chaska asked, still having the feeling that Kyle might have a threshold for what he would tolerate. Men dressed in exaggerated expressions of femininity might be that threshold for him.