23 | Changing Seasons

Summer transitioned to fall, and just like the seasons, Chaska and Kyle's relationship changed

     Summer transitioned to fall, and just like the seasons, Chaska and Kyle's relationship changed. There was something more serious and grounded about it, and the reality made Chaska both extremely happy and scared at the same time.

     School starting up again meant that older children were back in school, and it was just the younger kids at the daycare. Chaska's workload reduced, and he had a lot more time to spend with Kyle. The two went to the gym together often, and Kyle started teaching Chaska to drive like he had told him he would all those months ago.

     "When you get your license, I'll fix up a car for you," Kyle said the week before, giving Chaska a smile as the man parked properly after getting some help.

     Chaska had rolled his eyes, replying, "don't do that. We're trying to save up for a place."

     It was true. The two men had gotten an opportunity to look at a little townhouse someone was moving out from. The place was small, but snug. There were two rooms, and it was just enough for Chaska, Kyle, and Otis. The only problem was getting enough money to put down a down payment as well as address repairs that the place needed.

     "Don't worry about that. I'll just get more clients," the man had said, resting on the dashboard as he gave Chaska a smile. Chaska had felt his face warm up as he had looked away. Kyle had been taking extra work for more pay—he even went out of town sometimes to get more clients. It worried Chaska a bit, but it seemed that Kyle was more excited than exhausted by all the work.

     "I just want to live with you." Had been his words when Chaska asked him if he was feeling more tired than usual. Chaska's face has grown warm, and he had looked away muttering something nonsensical under his breath.

     Chaska spent more time at Kyle's place. He got along with the blond-haired man's mother, and he would get flustered anytime she smiled and spoke enthusiastically about the two of them moving in together.

     It was strange.

     Chaska was used to being snuck around to hide him from parents, wives, and girlfriends. The attention Kyle's mum gave him made him a bit uncomfortable, but also extremely happy.

     "I'm so glad he found you," Kyle's mother had said one afternoon as the two of them cleaned up the kitchen. "When he told me that he wanted to come back home so that I could help with Otis, I was happy but so was also worried," the older woman said, smiling at Chaska in a way that made the man's face grow hot.

     The small memories were nice. He collected them and used them to plaster over his terrible ones like a new coat of paint.

     "You know, he never wanted to come back here, and he was depressed when he did, but then he met you..." she had trailed, reaching out a hand to rub Chaska's back. "Thank you."

     "Hey, are you lost?" Someone yelled out making Chaska blink. He had been lost in his thoughts in a while—so much so that his exposed hands that were freezing hadn't been a worry to him.