28 | Marry Me

It was in the middle of a light drizzle of snow that a black Jeep parked in front of the small bungalow house

     Otis started to bounce up and down as he held on to Chaska's hand on the porch.

     "Mummy!" he said in a giddy voice when a lean woman stepped out of the car and shut the door behind her. She was wearing sunglasses, and her brown hair was tucked under a heart.

     She was lean, and even though she was wearing a coat that swallowed her figure she still looked stylish.

     Beautiful.

     She made even Chaska's heart skip a beat.

     "Otis!" she said, looking over at the porch. "My baby!" she said, and Chaska let go of the boy's hand, letting him go down the stairs before making a wiggle run for his mother.

     The woman lifted him up and smacked a kiss on each side of his cheek before hugging him to herself. She swayed from side to side with him, before stopping and looking back to the porch. Kyle and his mother had come out to the porch too.

     "Hello," Anastasia greeted, walking over to the house before climbing up the stairs to the porch.

     "It's nice to see you again," she said in a soft voice as she looked at Kyle. Her gaze moved to Chaska, and her brown eyes lingered on the younger man until a light bulb lit up in her head. "You must be Chaska!" she said, making the man nod. He was a bit taken aback. He had expected her to maybe say something snarky, but she seemed so friendly.

     "Ma'am," she said, turning her attention to Kyle's mum. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you," she said with a grin, holding on to Otis with one hand before reaching out her other hand to shake Kyle's mother's hand with.

     The two women bickered with each other for a while. Kyle went up to Anastasia to take the young boy before he and Chaska made their way back into the house.

    "She seems nice," Chaska muttered when they both took a seat on the couch. "She's also very pretty."

     "She's great," Kyle said, "but not as great as you," he added, reaching out to pinch Chaska's cheek. The dark-haired man chuckled, swatting Kyle's hand away before staring towards the front door.

     Meeting Anastasia hadn't been as worried as his anxiety had made him fear.

     The house was sparsely decorated, but there was a small decorated Christmas tree in the corner of the sitting room so that Kyle could continue the Santa myth for Otis. At first, he didn't want to do it, but Chaska insisted that letting kids in on celebrations and events like this to the fullest was good for their imagination and hope.

     They both had not been sure what to get him, but they settled on a rocking horse since he had enjoyed the farm ponies so much. Kyle's mother had knitted her grandson a sweater, and Kyle and Chaska were too busy thinking about moving to get anything for each other.