Chapter 5

{~Dream~}

Iris laughed from behind me. "Gwen! Wait up!"

I turned my head to stick my tongue out at my friend.

She made a face and laughed.

The two of us were running through the school's field after lunch.

I finally stopped, letting Iris catch up. I giggled at her as she started to pant.

She pouted at me. "You know you have longer legs than me! It's no fair!"

I giggled again. "I know it's not fair, that's why I do it!"

Iris shook her head. "You're such a tease."

I smirked. "I know."

Iris smiled at me. "But despite being a tease, you're the bestest friend I could ask for."

I smiled back. "Same for you." I paused for a beat and my smile fell. "But you and Sofie have been hanging out with Layla whenever she's around and you know she hates me."

Iris furrowed her brow. "I know, but she's also my friend."

I sighed and looked away. "It's fine. If you don't like me, just say it."

Iris put her hand on my shoulder. "I will never leave you for Layla. She's too mean for that and you and I have known each other since we were in diapers."

I looked at my friend and gave her a small smile. "Thanks, Iris."

{~End of dream~}

I woke up and for a moment forgot where I was. When I finally remembered, I turned my attention back to the dream I just had. Well, more like a memory. That day actually happened. It was towards the end of grade 7 a few months before Layla moved to our school. She never left me completely but she does spend more time with Layla than she does me.

I sighed and checked my watch. It was 11 in the morning. I got out of my sleeping bag and went downstairs.

I walked into the kitchen to find Cindy putting the fruit loops and milk away. "You ready to go?"

She nodded. "Yeah. So we just walk to your place, I guess?"

I nodded. "Yeah, and then we'll just walk to the ice rink."

I grabbed my shoes from the front door and slipped them on. Cindy did the same.

***

When we arrived at my house, I opened the door with my key and we stepped inside. We headed up to my room and I dug through the back of my closet to find my skates.

Cindy eyed my bedroom. "Girl, you need to redecorate."

I glanced at her from within my closet. "I've been needing to do that for years."

Cindy let out a snort in laughter and sat on my bed. "Comfy bed, though."

I came out of my closet as I finally found my skates. "I prefer practicality over looks. The last bedding I had other than my grey blanket and white pillow I have right now was when I was like 6 or 7 and it was pink with hearts on it."

Cindy chuckled at me. "You and I need to go shopping sometime."

I shrugged. "Nah. I can survive."

Cindy raised her eyebrows. "Alright then, suit yourself."

I showed her my skates. "Let's go, I guess."

Cindy nodded. "Yeah. And you're getting something and eating it."