You Know Less About Me Than You Think

After dinner, they all headed up to their rooms to get some sleep. Alain finally took the initiative to see if he really saw what he thought he did. He peeked through the keyhole once again, only to see the girl taking her dress off and revealing no leotard.

Panicking, he pulled himself away from the keyhole, panting in shock. Before anyone saw him, he darted to his own room and shut the door.

'Euuugh! If Ash really is what I think he is, I can't look through that keyhole. Well, I can, but...no, no, NO! What am I thinking? What's wrong with me? Why am I so red and tense?', Alain thought to himself, doubting the mindset that none of this was real.

He sighed and shifted his glance to the golden trophy in his cabinet, sealed behind a locked glass wall.

'Why would a girl go after that? If girls would ever do anything with their Pokemon, it would be contests or something like that', Alain thought, desperate to believe that Ash really was just a boy. 'Maybe that was just his sister? Maybe a friend?'

"Alain? Can I come in?"

Alain heard Mairin's voice from beyond the door. He pulled himself together and stood up, brushing himself off. He opened the door as collectively as he could. As soon as Mairin looked up at him, her face expression changed.

"What's wrong? You look nervous", she asked.

"N-N-N-Nothing, w-what, I-I'm not a-allowed to b-be n-n-nervous?", Alain stammered, sounding less confident than he'd liked.

"No, it's not that. It's just that you're not usually nervous. You're not really that kind of person. You're more like...the weird emo kid that tries to be cool!"

"Mairin!"

"I'm just saying...that's what you make yourself out to be with those dark clothes and that miserable face"

"You don't know me as well as you think you do"

"Oh, stop it. Anyway, what were you doing? I tried to open the door, but it felt like something was blocking it"

"Oh, uh...I was...um..."

Mairin pouted.

"What? Are you hiding something from me?"

"NO! I mean, uh...no, the door was...locked and I couldn't find the key"

"Nice try, Alain, but the lock for this room doesn't have a key"

"Oh, well, looks like those architects need to pay more attention, don't they, ha ha~", Alain laughed awkwardly.

"Well bye Mairin!"

Before she could say anything else, Alain shut the door in her face and shrunk back down into a ball. He then heard Mairin's voice again.

"Oh, hey Ash!"

He immediately scrambled to the keyhole to spy on them, unsure what he was hoping for at this point.

"What are you doing outside of your room when it's this late?"

"O-Oh, I'm...just...getting something I left downstairs"

"Oh, okay! Wow, you're nervous too? Gosh, you and Alain really are similar you know? Bye!"

Ash waved goodbye to her before looking around cautiously and creeping downstairs. Alain payed no mind to the fact that Mairin was still near, and quietly opened the door to follow him.

"Alain, where are you going?", Mairin interrogated as she spotted him creeping down the stairs after Ash.

"I-I left something downstairs too..."