Part 5

(Black Sheep)

It's been two days now since news has spread of me being, well, a genius. Three days since the exam, and four days since I and Crackle moved into our apartment, I open the mailbox, to reveal a shiny envelope, with, a blood red seal, I open it. It's an invitation to a ball, at the museum of modern art, convenient to. I go to open the door to show Gray, but I stop as I start to turn the handle taking my hands off. If I show him it, he'll show the faculty, I know they will just use me as a decoy since they would think it would be too risky for me to do it. Gray would get to have all the fun while I was stuck doing boring things.

I continue reading the invation, just this once I would go in alone unnoticed, it wouldn't be the first time, I'd take something, small I'm not sure what, but I will, after all this was invation to the chechle mosia'r (doesn't mean anything) or as I understand it as the art gathering of the year. New paintings made and discovered would be bidding on from art lovers and museums all over the world, this invitation is worth more than a huge diamond, 6.4 karats to be exact, which was A LOT.

I slipped the invation into my pocket, it said to meet at some kind of boutique an hour from know, talk about cutting it close, not to mention the event was tonight. Though I guess it makes sense, the news did just come out. Though I wondered why they would want me their, did they want my veiw on art? They didn't expect me to bid millions of dollars on art, did they?

I enter the elevator and exit leaving the building, I pulled the inatation back out and get in a cab. I hand the invation to the driver.

"Do you know how to get to this boutique?" He looks at me as if this is some prank, he nods though and hands it back and starts the engine. After about 45 minutes the car stops, I go to pay the cab fare, but before I can, a man tops on the window, and after the driver makes the window go down the man hands him the cab fare and motion me to get out. I do confuse clutching the invitation in my pocket. He holds his hand out and he greets me with a smile.

"Hi you must be Carmen it's very nice to meet you, I'm so sorry about the sudden notice, but we couldn't find a address anywhere, luckily you don't live too far from here, I'm David, I'm in charge of the event and making sure all the art peices are in the right place at the right time."

"Yeah I am thank you so much for inviting me but to be honest I'm not exactly sure why I was invited" He smiles warmly and gestures me inside.

"Of course that only is natural, my boss who's family all those years ago started this tradition, wanted to meet you personally, so they figured this would be a good opportunity.

For the next several hours I'm whisked around trying on different items when something catches my eye. It was a scarlet red cat with a matching red hat. I guess David notices my eye line.

"You want to try it on?" nod waking over to it, I go to pick it up when I see the price tag, I had nowhere near enough money on me to get it. I turn around and walk back over to him. He frowns.

"What's wrong you seemed mighty interested in it a second ago?"

"It's a bit out of my price range" okay that was a lie, I would have had to of stolen another huge pearl to pay or that. He just laughs.

"Well of course it is, your just a kid, this is designer, don't worry about the money though everything belongs to my boss, he told me to let you take whatever you want, and as much of it as you want, and I suggest you do he would be quite insulted if you didn't."

I smile and browse, after a while, I found what I wanted. I picked out a lot of jewelry, to make it look like I had stolen it, a red ball gown with a gold line and the coat and hat from before. David frowns and I'm worried I took to much.