Chapter 14

A doctor's note had restricted me to stay in my own house today. I knew it was because of that silly doctor in Washington's suspicions, but I wouldn't believe it.

The last advice he said before I left, was to watch for any signs. Anything. Even the flu, which was absurd, in my opinion. Aunt Rebecca made chicken noodle soup yesterday, which I had for lunch. It remained delicious, as always. 

Most of my time was occupied by homework, unfortunately. The weather outside was really nice, and I wanted to take advantage of it.

"Make sure you warm up the soup for lunch, and there's some leftovers in the fridge if you're still hungry."

Aunt Rebecca smiled and waved, while rushing out the door for work. Ellie and Nora were in such a rush for school, I almost thought they were going to be late. Thank goodness they made it on time. Otherwise, I would've been annoyed for the rest of the day.

Today was an important day. I couldn't afford a distraction. 

It took me time to realize, but, I was actually freaking out over nothing. Bruises are blue, but just not that shade of blue, maybe. 

I did my research on the internet to find out why a bruise formed after the impact. The doctor concluded I was a miracle. Miracle or not, I still didn't understand how a snap like that didn't cause my neck to be paralyzed.

Apparently, my supposed survival was 0%. I browsed my computer for an hour. No answer or website could tell me why I was alive. 

The 0% thing was generated by some doctor site. You would give it the information it asked you for, and it would tell you your diagnosis. I think the website got tricked many times, because it froze after my first three attempts. 

My phone buzzed at around lunchtime. Well, for Midtown, at least.

Nora texted and asked if I was okay. She seemed the least concerned, but the most caring. I typed my response, telling her I was fine. 

I asked what happened to Peter, but she never replied back to me. Eventually I got bored staring at the computer, so I warmed up lunch and gobbled it down. I felt hungry still, but wanted to write in my journal, only to discover I was on my second last page.

Guess I'd have to buy a new one.

Aunt Rebecca came home early. Her shift hadn't ended, but she probably wanted to come and check on me. Thankfully, she arrived with takeout, and I couldn't have been happier. 

"When did you pick this up?" I gasp, as she sets the bag of heaven on the counter.

"I figured you might be hungry. There weren't many leftovers anyway."

She laughs merrily. "I was hungry too! I forgot to pack a lunch this morning.

I chuckle, recalling this morning's events.

Ellie was running toward the door. Her jacket became entangled within the coat hanger hooks. Desperate, she yanked harder, almost until it ripped in half. Luckily, Aunt Rebecca swooped in and pulled the hood off the hook.

To be honest, I didn't notice the absence of her lunch. She's always on top of her schedule. 

After fifteen minutes, we sit at the oak table, stuffed. Mostly me, though. I tend to eat more of the takeout than dinner on regular weeknights.

"I'm glad you enjoyed lunch. I have to go back to work, though."

I nodded cheerfully with a mouthful of food.

Aunt Rebecca was a very busy woman, especially when it came to managing her schedule. I simply could never understand her logic.

She was hardheaded and stubborn. She often took more shifts than any other nurse in her department, or even in the hospital she was employed at.

Her good deed came in handy. She received extra time to take off work. The most recent time it worked to her benefit was my accident. She took an entire day off work, although it was nothing to that privilege. Her arrangements specified for me to be in her care, and so that I could go along with my classmates home.

Stubborn and hardheaded for sure. She refused to use those extra vacation days unless absolutely necessary, like an emergency.

Speaking of emergencies, my heart ached to be writing in my journal again. I decided to save those last pages in case there was a story I wanted to write about. Hopefully me and Nora could shop at the little stores in downtown for a new one.

I opened the mildly tattered pages of the journal to the last, but most recent story.

Spider-Man hasn't been around lately. Even before the accident, no stories circulated on the news at all. Maybe the odd time, but that's it. He hasn't dropped by in a while. Guess he's been staying out of trouble, and keeping his head in the game. That's exactly why I'm getting worried. He's not necessarily reckless, so I'm sitting here, wondering what changed him.

A gust of wind blows through the now opened screen door. I rush to close it, ultimately getting taken aback by the intensity. 

Dark grey clouds were forming in the sky. That would most likely be the start of a rainy day. I was getting used to them, but they were annoying. Before I moved here, days like those were ones I enjoyed. However, here in Queens, that didn't seem to be the case anymore.

I checked the time, 2:49. School let out a while ago, but Nora was at band practice today, and Ellie probably at dance.

I return to reading the rest of my journal entry. 

I really liked when he came over just to chat. A lot of times he only came because he had an injury he couldn't patch up himself. now he doesn't come over. Did I do something to shun him away? I just wanted him to know someone cared if he came home to his family.

I slam the cover shut, surprised to hear a knock on the window occur at the same time, as I open the sliding window to welcome Spider-Man.