Ch. 4

Layla

Her day started with a lovely call from Jesse, saying that he would be released from the hospital by noon. Layla was beyond ecstatic. He had been caged in there for nearly two months! It was time to get the hell out.

In preparation, she baked all sorts of goodies ranging from cinnamon rolls, to pizza, to lasagna, and tons of other dishes. She was apprehensive in cooking because, well, Jesse was head chef around their house. Her cooking was absolutely shit, compared to his. But she was sure that it was the thought that counted. And plus, hospital food probably sucks, so she might stand a good chance.

After cleaning up, Layla headed to pick up some balloons. It wasn't every day that her brother was being released from the hospital with a brain tumor still intact, and she planned to celebrate every moment.

An array of blue and green balloons stuck to the ceiling and a little music in the background wouldn't hurt. Layla sure wasn't one for parties, but Jesse could use something exciting. Layla phoned a couple of his close friends who would absolutely love to join them for a 'Get Well' party for Jesse.

...

After pulling into the hospital parking lot, she rushed to Jesse's room. They had a secret party planned, and the host obviously could not be late.

Once she finally arrived at his room, she knocked a few times. The door opened, revealing a tired-looking Jesse in sweats.

Her stomach dropped as she found possible holes in their plans.

What if he was too tired for a little rinky-dink party?

He would probably rather rest up. After all, that's what he has been prescribed to do.

"Hey, baby Lay, it's good to see ya!" Jesse pulled her out of her thoughts with a giant bear-hug. Layla hugged him back as they went to go sign him out.

"So uh, how are you feeling Jes?" She asked worriedly.

"Lay, whatever's going on in that head of yours should stop. I'm fine. You don't need to be worried about me." He ruffled her hair as he spoke.

She just smiled and drove to their house, in hopes that he wouldn't be annoyed with their so called 'get together.'

...

Pulling up to the house, her nerves had skyrocketed. She didn't want to jeopardize Jesse's health in any way, so Layla figured that she should just come out with it.

"Um, Jess?" She asked timidly.

"What's up?" He questioned suspiciously as they strolled up the driveway.  Layla never could hide anything from Jesse. He was an expert at sniffing out b.s.

"Well, uh, you see. I thought that maybe you could use something fun, to cheer you up, after having been at the hospital for so long, and I invited Marilyn and Gavin to celebrate with us... but if you just want to rest, that's totally okay! I can call the whole thing off right now and we'll just chill!" She bit her lip as she waited for his response. She was trying to gauge his reaction, but his face remained emotionless.

After what felt like minutes, Jesse finally started to crack a smile, which eventually turned into a fit of laughter. At this point, Layla was completely confused.

"Aww, Lay! You didn't have to do that for me! Hell yeah, I'm excited! You know, those people at the hospital wouldn't even laugh at my jokes?" Jesse managed to say between laughter.

She laughed along with Jesse. He deserved this. Layla just hoped that Gavin hadn't stuck his hands in the bean dip yet.

As they finally made it to the door, she opened it and they came face to face with a pitch black room.

"SURPRISE!!" Marilyn and Gavin shouted.

Confetti littered the air and floor, but Jesse seemed to like it. Layla guided him to the buffet that she prepared for the occasion.

She filled everybody's plates and handed them out, along with drinks and napkins. Layla just wanted everyone to have fun, and with the duo present, the night was sure to be filled with a million laughs.

Marilyn and Gavin were their closest friends. Although they are Jesse's age, they've always treated Layla like one of their own. Jesse went to high school with them and enrolled in the same culinary program. And though she was nervous to be serving food cooked by an amateur, Marilyn and Gavin pretty much loved anything edible.

"Layla, you totally know how to get down! I mean, look at all this! I can't believe you managed to pull everything together in a matter of a few hours," Gavin complimented.

"Thanks! Parties aren't really my thing, but I figured Jesse could use a little fun," she stated with a shrug. After all, Layla pretty much owed him. He'd done so much for her. This was really the least she could do.

...

After what felt like forever, Marilyn and Gavin said goodbye and left for the night. Layla was in the kitchen cleaning up any trash and leftovers, determined to return the kitchen to its spotless state.

She scrubbed. And scrubbed. And scrubbed. But, it was finally done.

All the leftovers were neatly packed away in their rightful containers and besides the balloons, it looked like a party had never even taken place.

Layla noticed that Jesse had stepped outside to take out the trash, so she took a seat on the comfy couch. She struggled to keep her eyes open, and as her eyelids became heavier, she  finally slipped into a sleeping state when the faint sound of a shutting door emanated through the silence.

"Goodnight, Layla. I love you, baby sister. You threw a kick-ass party tonight," Jesse whispered as he kissed the side of Layla's head, but she was too overcome by sleep to respond.
______________________________________

:) Hehe another chapter! I literally am so excited to write more!!!
Xoxo,
_phantom_writer_vl