Ch. 25

Layla 

The rest of the week bore long and hard days; piles of paperwork for Christian and endless assignments for Layla. The two had barely shared more than a stolen kiss since their establishment on Wednesday.

Now being Friday, Layla wasn't sure what the weekend held, but she hoped her and Christian might have some alone time.

...

Thoughts passed through Layla's head as the last period wretched by. 

Her attention span was shot, as she couldn't keep her mind off of Wednesday... 

She hadn't known that eating Chinese takeout with him would be so enriching.

So intimate.

Layla's mind couldn't seem to process all that had occurred in the last week. Her mind went into overdrive everytime she recalled his searing blue eyes, penetrating through her every being. 

Not to mention his lips. 

That was something Layla just couldn't afford to remember in the middle of class, as the sweat had already begun to bead at her hairline from the mere thought of him. 

Fortunately for her, class was over. 

The two o'clock bell was sobering, reminding Layla that the day had come to an end. 

Weaving through the heavily populated halls, Layla made her way to the nearest exit. Thankfully, the temperatures were mild, making her walk home much more pleasurable. It wasn't very often that she had to go on foot, but Layla really didn't mind. In fact, it was a nice change. She recalled Christian telling her that he could take her home whenever she needed, but she didn't want to take advantage of him. His kindness would remain only for emergencies. 

Layla held her bag flush to her side as she rounded the corner. She watched the busy streets and cafes, buzzing with afternoon commotion. It only made Layla feel more content. 

More dreamy.

Before she knew it, the familiar cobalt door came into view. A sense of relief washed over her, as Layla knew that she would finally have the opportunity to rest and decompress after a chaotic week.

She swiftly unlocked the door, nearly collapsing out of exhaustion, and scurried inside. By the time she set down all of her baggage, she could no longer keep her eyes open. Layla slumped onto the plush couch with her phone in hand. She had pulled up her and Christian's text thread and began composing a message. She just wanted to let him know that she was home, per his request, and that he wouldn't have to wait on her after class.

But at that point, Layla had no control over her body, and just as her lashes met flushed cheeks, all notions of sending that message had faded away, consumed by a greedy slumber. 

... 

Layla jumped from the couch in a fright. 

She was discombobulated and disoriented, trying to figure out where she was, what time it was and what was going on. 

She froze again as a loud frequency reverberated against the walls and she immediately recognized the sound. 

It was the doorbell followed by a few harsh raps.

Not bothering to fix her hair or rub the sleep from her eyes, Layla scampered to the door, rushing to see who had disrupted her rest. 

She hadn't even had the chance to fully see who stood outside her door when two arms flung around her. Her confusion had stopped short once she sniffed his familiar scent.